I Caught My First Ever Fish on Fly!
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Caught My First Ever Fish on Fly!

I finally worked up the courage to get my first fly kit. Not much, picked up a cheap pflueger kit from amazon and just wanted to dip my toes into the world of fly fishing. I know I had asked for advice on here before, but I just couldn't swing the money for an expensive combo. So after getting the combo about a week ago and practicing my casts and watching tutorials basically all this week, I finally took the combo to my usual spot to see if I could at least catch a small largemouth. Within this time I decided to try tying my own fly. I saw a version of a mayan cichlid fly on here and wanted to try for myself. After attempting to make one with yarn, a feather, a sharpie, and some eyes from other lures its not the prettiest but it worked. Within 10 minutes I was connected to a respectable peacock, about 3 pounds.
    photo.jpg

Man it felt good to catch a fish on something I made myself. I know it's not the glamorous bonefish or permit on fly like you guys catch on here, but it felt special to me to catch a peacock on fly as my first fish with a home-made fly. I think I'm addicted to fly fishing now, way more fun than spinning tackle! Thanks for reading.

Great job! Hope you get lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by redjim View Post
    Great job! Hope you get lots more!

Thank you!

Great job, keep up the great work. Nothing better than catching a fish on your own fly!!!

That's awesome!

Congrats! I find any fish caught on fly to not only be extremely rewarding but also a lot of FUN!

Congrats. It is a good feeling to catch a fish on your own fly
    Chad

Well, I have been fly-fishing in florida for about 7 years, and I have never caught a single peacock... so you have me beat.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Jonathan: there is a HUGE price difference in fly fishing tackle. The implication is that to obtain really good equipment you have to pay a lot of money. I would avoid the lowest priced tackle but there is a lot of very serviceable gear out there for a reasonable amount of money. I've broken tips off some fly rods and "Ouch". Would a more serviceable rod have worked as well? On a rod, I like a long rod. It moves a lot of line and that can be a plus. On a reel, any reel is okay until you get into a really large fish that starts ripping line off the spool. On a cheap reel the spool starts vibrating around and you might worry that the whole deal is going to come apart. Even so, I've caught 20 pound plus fish on $50 reels.
    I think the line IS important. Get a name brand in the $50-$70 range and you should be okay. Some of the really cheap lines aren't that good.
    I once read a book by Ted Williams- fly fishing legend. In some of the pictures he is salmon fishing in New Brunswich with a standard Pfluger Medalist reel.
    It's true fly fishing can be a challenge but sometimes it is the BEST and EASIEST way to catch fish. A fly is weightless. You can cast a long distance and the fly lands without a splash and suspends mid-depth. The best choice in many circumstances.
    Try bluegill fishing. Liven them up by tossing bread out on the water. When there are bluegills everywhere then start casting a fly. They are eager biters. Let them run out the line under pressure (line between fingers and rod-etc) and then play them off the reel. Bluegills let you catch a 100 plus fish an outing and that will give you a lot of practice getting the fish on the reel. When I started out I just stripped in the line- fast and easy on a little fish but getting it on the reel is the proper way.
    And....nice first catch on a fly rod.

First fish I ever caught on a fly ... ladyfish May 2005. Thank god for ladyfish!

Funny thing, I put it in my livewell to photograph. Then I went out with crabs on gear for tarpon. I put the live ladyfish on a tarpon hook drifting, with no real target in mind. I just didn't want to put cut bait out and get bitten off by a shark. The ladyfish then turned into the first cobia I ever caught!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...