My 6 year old got a trophy hog on his first kill

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My 6 year old and his first kill

A couple of friends and I took over a lease in June and have been figuring it out as we go. Lots of hogs, some deer, and lots of turkeys. My wife is new to hunting (killed her first deer and hog in the same week last year at Christmas). I have a 10 year daughter who is coming around on the whole hunting thing and my 6 yr old boy is ate up with it. His grandfather handed down an old Franchi 20 gauge to him before he was born. This fall my wife and I bought them a CVA Hunter single shot in .243 to start them on their hunting journey. Lots of bullets and lots of practice over the last couple of months has seen both of them evolve into safety minded shooters who can hit where they aim. A great report card from my sons 1st grade teacher was the deal maker. Thanksgiving weekend he was going to our woods with his rifle to hunt his first hog. Friday afternoon started slowly in the blind, until a couple of coons showed up to entertain him till the feeder went off. The dinner bell rang and we had only one guest show up (the dead hog below). This bad boy turned broadside at 30yds. and my son aimed his shooter and proclaimed he was ready. As a precaution I drew down on him with my .308 to make certain of a clean, humane kill. It turned out my rifle would not be needed. My boy dropped the hammer and I watched in awe as the pig stumbled spraying blood for about 25 yds. till he fell dead. I am certain all the fathers on this forum were equally proud of their child's first kill as I am of mine. The difference for me is I get to share it with all of you at a time of year when we all celebrate being thankful for our families, who we are, what we do, and this great country we live in. Other than getting to brag a little bit, I am hopeful that while my forum brothers are reading this it will bring back the memories of their children's first hunt for them to enjoy again, as well as inspire those fathers who have not been lucky enough yet to experience the adrenaline rush like no other. Everyone should quit talking about it and go do it. I am certain it has changed my relationship with my son forever.

Happy Holidays everyone,
    Bob
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	112926
    Last edited by Mojito; 12-02-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Very cool. Congrats to you both
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......

He's going to have a hard time toping that hog, and you will never top the experience you shared with him.

Happy Holidays
    rent my beach house

Awesome story and nice boar

Really enjoyed reading this. that's a nice pig! Congrats to both of you guys. (be on the look out for this on the front page of the website tomorrow, going to put it up there for you)

Snookslayer

Thank you for that, seeing that will make his year. FS ROCKS!

Wow! That's a great hog and a great story. Good job.
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!

Sweet! Got any pice of those cutters?

Great job teaching them the right way! I look forward to sharing these moments with my boys ( 1yr and 3yr). My oldest is already shooting the deer on the tv when i watch hunting shows so it wont be long! Thanks for sharing this and awesome pig!

Cograts to both of you! It doesn`t get any better than that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast