Lewis Cut

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Cut

Lewis Cut

Who has been through with a larger outboard boat? Do you think a Coastal 290 with twin 250s can get through there? How about Sands Cut? I have been through boat in 27-30 ft CC and its been close during certain tides and current.

Thanks

i have been through there numerous times in a 31 contender with F225s, but only during mid tide and high tide. i usually trim all the way down and tilt the engines as high as I can. I go as fast as I can to stay on plane, but no more than that.
    But if you only have love for your own race
    Then you only leave space to discriminate
    And to discriminate only generates hate
    And when you hate then you're bound to get irate

When the tide is at its lower stages you're better off trimming up your motor as high as possible (while still allowing your water pickup to function...) then just idling through until you're in a bit more water. Anyone can run through at high tide... the problem is the bottom at both locations - it's just plain hard and it will tear up your gear if you've misjudged the water level. Good luck, you might want to look at all the prop scars in both locations as you idle through....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Senior Member Lobstercatcher229's Avatar
    it has been a while but Sand's cut did not used to be an option for your boat. I don't know if anything has changed. Lewis I agree with the above posters, not an issue at high tide.

Sand's cut is much shallower.

Lewis yes, Sands NEVER. Skinny water there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bspot View Post
    Lewis yes, Sands NEVER. Skinny water there.
    Your boat can get through Lewis Cut on any tide as long as you're on plane. Channel is marked by two white buoys, stay within 20 feet of them on the south side. In the morning its sometimes tough to pick them up heading out because of the sun.

You can get through Sands too, but its tricky. Best to do it a few times with someone who knows.

Took a 36 invincible with trips through Lewis Cut, just stay near the buoys and youll be fine.

Sands is a big negative for yur lower unit.

Thanks guys for all your input. I never got a chance to take the Coastal through either Cut, but I plan to take the Hydra-Sport 3300 VX through it very soon. I have done both cuts with other boats, been in through Sands on a low outgoing tide on a SeaVee 29 with twins, that was tricky and scary but we made it. With the tide rushing out, you have to put some power down, which squats the rear, and makes it very tricky....and yes, its super hard nasty bottom there. At Lewis, you can easily ground your boat if you bust your lower unit and you drift on to the rocks. At that point your salvage with a bigger boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast