Kings Bay/CR 10/27 - in search of snook

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kings Bay/CR 10/27 - in search of snook

I apologize in advance for the out of focus pictures. My phone doesn't seem to be focusing properly.....dropped too many times, likely.

I ventured out into Kings Bay for the first time. I launched my kayak from Hunter Springs Park dark and early. The crystal clear water layered with fog as sunbeams shot through the canopy was a beautiful sight. Plan of the day: find snook.

Not knowing what to do, I started working the east edge of the bay along the docks and seawalls using a Zara Puppy. I wanted some topwater action. I had a ladyfish try his damnedest to grab a hold, but he kept missing. Spooked a bunch of mullet and needlefish too. Not much happening until I got to the south end of the bay where I fished the edges of the grassy islands (Banana Island, et al.) I got into some 1-2lbs largemouth. Forgot how fun these guys were to catch. Great pound for pound fighter.

After a few of these guys, I moved up the west end of the bay heading north. Nothing going on here. I head into the mouth of Crystal River and fish Miller Creek. Nada.

Exiting Miller Creek, I work the dock-lined mouth of Crystal River. Deciding I wanted to ditch topwater, I dropped my light-action Calico Jack w/ CI4 3000 and 10lb braid to my med-actionTeramar w/ 5000FJ and 20lb braid. At the end of the line I had 40lb floro an a chartreuse bucktail. 2 casts.....nothing. I'm glad I swtich to heavier tackle, because on my 3rd cast........BAM! I get hit by a freight train. I feel the weight of the fish bearing down on my tackle. Quickly the fish rises and I catch a glimpse of a large head thrash at the surface. Looks like a tarpon! I get all giddy inside, I've never landed a poon from my yak. Slowly the fish turn and heads out towards the channel. He wasn't running, just a slow, heavy pull. I see 3 buoys. Oh crap, I thought to myself (actually something worse, but this is a family forum). I'm praying he doesn't get me tangled up in the buoys. By now, he's giving me a bit of a Nantucket sleigh ride. As he passes the buoys, he catches a glimpse of the safety of the channel and lets out a screaming run. I hold on with a big grin on my face. After he slows up, I start gaining some ground on him. His head turned, he next starts a slow run back to the docks. He's getting dangerously close with no sign of slowing up. I start thumbing the spool and adding pressure hoping to get him to slow and turn away.......SUCCESS! He heads away from the docks and is all tuckered out. I feel him give up and now it's just a matter of hauling him in. As he nears the yak, he heads underneath it and somehow I managed to pull a ninja spin around the stern of the kayak and get him to the other side......

That's no tarpon.....it's a monster snook!

After getting my deck ready to haul him over, I grab his lower jaw with a death grip and hoist him up. I'm struggling with my phone (in a water-proof, floating case) to get a good picture quickly. I manage a few decent shots.

I estimated 36-38" a new personal record! At this point, I'm looking around hoping to see a passer-by. I would love for someone to get a nice hero-shot of me on the kayak with my catch and then text it to me, but to no avail. I focus my efforts on reviving. After a few minutes, he shows signs of activity, I let him kick away, but he floats up to the surface. OH NO! I quickly paddle back over to him and resume resuscitation. After another minute or so, he really starts to struggle and violently kicks away drenching me with a nice shower. That's more like it, I though to myself. Still, I waited for a bit to make sure he didn't resurface. After a few minutes and no signs of him, I rejoice in my successful catch and release.

I head back over to the docks and manage to catch a baby redfish before leaving for the day.

Slow day to start, but a great finish!
    Lo the angler. He riseth early in the morning. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart, and when the day is far spent he returneth,
    smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Awesome! I have been wanting to try my kayak at crystal river as I am having no luck at ozello

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I tried Ozello when I first moved here. It seemed like the logical choice. Looks like redfish heaven. All I get in Ozello are pinfish and snapper chewing up my expensive plastics.
    Lo the angler. He riseth early in the morning. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart, and when the day is far spent he returneth,

Haha yep! How was the place you put in? Trailer friendly parking?

Man what a Snook!! WTG!! could of done without the hairy legs though!!
    AKA Flatheadcat

That snook looks like he is about to swallow your hand. He's huge! Nice job! That got your heart rate going I bet.

That's a nice snook!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Hell yeah, thats a nice snooker there!

Quote Originally Posted by SwampThing07 View Post
    Haha yep! How was the place you put in? Trailer friendly parking?

I didn't pay much attention, but I'm going to say no. The parking spots are small and a trailer would stick out and block the roadway. There might be trailer space on the sides, but I don't know if that's a parking ticket or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Theropy View Post
    Man what a Snook!! WTG!! could of done without the hairy legs though!!
    I'll be sure to shave next time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast