10/12/13 1st time out of Pompano, did someone say Cobia?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

10/12/13 1st time out of Pompano, did someone say Cobia?

So I've been having the itch to get offshore for my first time ever and I ended up pulling the trigger and made the trip down to Pompano with some members from my kayak fishing club. We ended up hitting the water at 645 and paddled out to 280 ft initially. my plan was to learn how to vertical jig since i never had tried it before but I also rigged up a goggle eye and threw it overboard. Started jigging in 280 and my buddy immediately hooks up with a decent Bonita. We decided to go into 260ft and I finally had my first hook up, after a couple minute fight on my 5000 series reel I'm surprised to see a nice 24" snapper. I was told it was a Mutton but after some research i believe it was a silk snapper because of the yellow eye but I could be mistaken.

After I got the snapper in the bag we ended up paddling back north to the same spot where I caught that fish, the current was ripping south so it took some time but it was well worth it. Got over the spot and marked some fish on my fish finder, dropped the jig down, yelled to my fellow yakkers that I was marking fishing, and immediate hookup after a couple quick turns of the reel. The fish initially didn't feel that heavy and came up to the surface rather easily, but once that brown back saw my kayak it took off and did not want to be caught. To make matters worse I didn't have a gaff with me. Luckily 3 other people with me did! It took about 10 mins to get the fish to the yak and another 5 to coordinate the gaffing but I eventually got the beast in the PA14. Lesson learned, I will be buying a gaff today. I called it a day after those two fish as I really didn't have anymore room, so I made the long peddle back to the beach. Measure the Cobia at 50", I'd say 40+ lbs hard to say exact weight. Had some photo ops with some beach goers and rushed home to filet those 2 fish.

Not a bad first day offshore I'd say, definitely addicted, I'll be back soon, maybe tomorrow
    Enjoy the video and don't forget to watch in HD for best viewing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	106991
    Attachment 106983Click image for larger version. 

Views:	377 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	106984Click image for larger version. 

Views:	376 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	106985Click image for larger version. 

Views:	371 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	107006
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by LilTucci; 10-13-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Added more photos and video
    Lately it occurs to me....What a long, strange trip it's been
    Check out my youtube channel, many more fishing videos to come
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Liltuccii/videos
    Log your trips and help the SGF with accurate stock assessments, great site
    http://angleraction.org

Mannnnn that's a huge remora very poisonous just drop em by my house I can use it for bait ;)
    "I didn't know it was PCP" - Mike Caprio

Sick!!! Epic first offshore trip. I'm sure you'll be back there again soon...

Fantastic for a first trip! Yes, you're addicted after that trip!
    The snapper is a mutton.

Quote Originally Posted by Reanimator View Post
    Fantastic for a first trip! Yes, you're addicted after that trip!
    The snapper is a mutton.
    Thanks, I was hoping someone could identify it for me, how can you tell it's a mutton?
    Lately it occurs to me....What a long, strange trip it's been
    Check out my youtube channel, many more fishing videos to come
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Liltuccii/videos
    Log your trips and help the SGF with accurate stock assessments, great site
    http://angleraction.org

tight work, some nice fish u got there.

Quote Originally Posted by LilTucci View Post
    Thanks, I was hoping someone could identify it for me, how can you tell it's a mutton?
    Body shape is a good indicator. Also the light barring and spot towards the tail are a giveaway. It would have been rather ambiguous if we only had pictures of the iced fish. Also, 260' is still pretty shallow for silk snappers.

You'll probably never fish skinny water again! Well done. Gotta love offshore on a kayak. Especially with a catch like that.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.

I told you it was a mutton. The gaffing attempts were kind of comical, but ultimately successful. I got a nice hookup right on a wreck, but it just ended up being a big bonita. I got 2 cutoffs though, so kings were around. Liltucci should have added the picture of the vertical jig bent at a 30 degree angle once the fish was in the kayak. I'm a little jealous, since on his first trip he topped my biggest mutton and got the cobia to boot.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info

I hope when I finally get my first offshore trip in I am half as lucky as you are (I will take the mutton of the cobia lol)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast