The basics of flounder migration

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The basics of flounder migration

This time of year people are always talking about what part of the river the prized flounder are holding. We hear upper river, lower river, mid river, etc. The thing I would personally like to know more about is the manner in which they migrate. There a tons of guys on this forum that have been fishing the migration since they were little boys, they must have something to share on the subject. I get that the flounder come into the river, do their thing, then move back out. But I'm after a more in depth analysis of the migration. For example, when the flounder enter the river do they go straight to spawning grounds, do their thing then fatten back up before moving out (and we target them during the "fattening" stage). I just think it would be nice to talk about the migration in general rather than they are here, they are not here. My second year doing this so....

And dont worry, if you blow this off im still guna get mine.

They spawn offshore and move out not in. Males migrate first and they rarely get over 14 inches long. Females grow larger and are sexually mature at two or three years and can live to 20. They spawn offshore in the winter. They spend the summer inshore and prefer brackish water for the most part. Not all of them migrate. Some Are resident offshore and some inshore.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Dave View Post
    They spawn offshore and move out not in. Males migrate first and they rarely get over 14 inches long. Females grow larger and are sexually mature at two or three years and can live to 20. They spawn offshore in the winter. They spend the summer inshore and prefer brackish water for the most part. Not all of them migrate. Some Are resident offshore and some inshore.
    Thanks Brother Dave, I did not know that. Good info

It usually takes about a 4-5 degree water temp drop to get them moving good. Look for them to move after a good nor'easter.

I feel like im a competant flounder angler.... not a specailist, per say, like some guys that seem to be, but if they are there where I fish I will find them.... at least thats what I like to think. I know what to look for, etc. And man I have scoured the river lately with only a few filets to speak for, after fustrating my self so many times at the gas pump, lol. I know they are upriver. Not sure how far lol, and our river is vast. There are no real numbers that I could find east of the cruise terminal. So ill fish arlington or further upstream next. Maybe this weekend ill get a chance to look, most likely not. So how much will have changed between the two times I got to scout, two weeks apart?

It would be nice just to have a more general idea of what region to look in. But by the time a close buddy scores big that is actually willing to help me out, or I finally start stumbling into a few, I wont get another chance for two weeks, lol. Its a tough game... but dang if it was easy it wouldnt be any fun.

I beg for knowledge, sometimes even here and every now and then I get a tidbit of info... but for the most part it is vague and it all comes down to putting in your time and figuring out almost every single piece of the puzzle yourself. The guys that are consistant in the tourneys, etc are all the guys who have logged both long term and recent water time. And these guys workin hard for it arent about to risk word getting out to the masses. I sure am jealous of you jokers that get to fish 3 times or more a week lol... I remember those days all too well. Now im just a clueless bi-weekend warrior at best lol!
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

Quote Originally Posted by Boattronics View Post
    I feel like im a competant flounder angler.... not a specailist, per say, like some guys that seem to be, but if they are there where I fish I will find them.... at least thats what I like to think. I know what to look for, etc. And man I have scoured the river lately with only a few filets to speak for, after fustrating my self so many times at the gas pump, lol. I know they are upriver. Not sure how far lol, and our river is vast. There are no real numbers that I could find east of the cruise terminal. So ill fish arlington or further upstream next. Maybe this weekend ill get a chance to look, most likely not. So how much will have changed between the two times I got to scout, two weeks apart?

It would be nice just to have a more general idea of what region to look in. But by the time a close buddy scores big that is actually willing to help me out, or I finally start stumbling into a few, I wont get another chance for two weeks, lol. Its a tough game... but dang if it was easy it wouldnt be any fun.

I beg for knowledge, sometimes even here and every now and then I get a tidbit of info... but for the most part it is vague and it all comes down to putting in your time and figuring out almost every single piece of the puzzle yourself. The guys that are consistant in the tourneys, etc are all the guys who have logged both long term and recent water time. And these guys workin hard for it arent about to risk word getting out to the masses. I sure am jealous of you jokers that get to fish 3 times or more a week lol... I remember those days all too well. Now im just a clueless bi-weekend warrior at best lol!
    " Now im just a clueless bi-weekend warrior at best lol!

"........ I knew there was something strange about you. Thanks for the honesty but we really did not need to know. What is it about ya'll that you have to shout it to the world ??.....ROLMAO
    Last edited by Reel Mayhem; 09-04-2013 at 11:37 AM.

This is probably at my expense, but Ill point out your linky no worky bud.

I think I know where this is going though.... I used to give away all the usefull info I could to help others. But it cost me way more than the little bit of appreciation I earned. Shoot, I hardly ever report anything anymore because im afraid of the fish ninjas. Your secrets are now safe with me lol. These days im lucky to fish any advice before it is old news anyway. I just try to keep in touch with my best fishing buds and live vicariously through them and facebook, lol.
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com

A true sportsman helps others.... but a true sportsman isnt going to share a dead give away, also removing the sport from it. I try to adhere to that better now, as in my recent flounder report. I just wanted to help others by sharing where I know that they are not at, to help reduce such a vast search. It cracks me up how far people go, they dont even want the dang area code where they fished to get out.
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com

When they are here, there is so many places for them to stay and hence spread out. When they leave, there is only one way out to the Ocean which is the river. The leave for spawning offshore. You can catch good flounder all through the year but your chances are very high during their migration as they will be bunched up in the stretch of the river feeding heavily on their way out.

I think our flounder are just juvenile fish....and the St Johns is their nursery...even the 5 and 10 pounders are juveniles...and from here they migrate out into the ocean...where some head north...and others head all the way up to Alaska, and grow huge...just for the Halibut...

...just for the hal-a-but....get it ?.....

thank you, thank you very much, I'll be here all week...try the veal...!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast