Sunday 8/25: Ponce Inlet ARS
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Sunday 8/25: Ponce Inlet ARS

Cleared the inlet at 0900 and wondered where all the boats were. Then we got to the ocean - "oh.... 1.6' at 9 seconds us really 4' at 4 seconds and confused direction....that's why we are the only ones out here."

Took a beating getting out - our original plan was to hit a couple of the deep spots at 35 miles or so. At 17 the pounding got so bad we called an audible. Right then we lost the DSM sounder - so now we got to fish blind....no fish finder makes it tough to catch bottom fish. Put the radar on and looked for other boats. Pulled out the paper charts and did a quick cross reference with spots loaded into the GPS plotter... off to a public site (11). Pretty much non stop action once we were able to mark where the first fish were hitting. A few break offs - probably shark or cuda. Bunch of small ARS as well got donated to the BIG cuda's hanging out under the boat - but we made it and turned in some decent numbers. I can't tell you the depth becasue I don't know. I can tell you that according to my transducer - the water was 342.7 degrees. Later it cooled off to 171.4...lol. All fish were on a whole squid with a 7/0 circle.

Scarab Sport 302

I have the same problem with my depth finder GPS combination. I found that the electrical connections were corroded and when the going got rough it must move a little making it cut off or get stupid. My wrist watch looses time too so it makes it a little difficult just to navigate back to port. I'm glad I have a 26 mile radar, at least I don't get lost.

Poppop

Nice ARSsss,, we didn't have any luck with them, and yes we cleared PC at 7 and took us 2 hours to go 30 miles not too bad, we got 1 nice gag about 30lbs bunch of black sea bass few sharks and a couple great hits but lost them

Senior Member SpaceCoast Slayer's Avatar
    thats a bonafide chunk of snapper great work! especially with no fish finder..

That's how you make chicken salad out of... well you know! Same deal with the seas out of PC, bigger than reported and waves from two different directions. The cudas made sure we goose egged that day but great job to you with no bottom machine.

Nice! We were out there as well but radio stopped working after the long run. Nice job
    Support my fishing habit www.AdmiralsDetailing.com
    Number 1 Rated, Premium Marine Detailing and bottom cleaning. Free quotes. 386-214-3423.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice work
    So at 342 deg you could just fillet and have lunch
    and if you eat the snapper while at sea then does it count towards your limit

Raymarine is offering a no questions asked replacement of the Dsm's if having issues. But check all the connections for corrosion thoroughly! !! They are very sensitive to voltage drop.
    Congrats on the fish.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    When I'm not Fishing...I'm Catching

Quote Originally Posted by HogTide View Post
    Raymarine is offering a no questions asked replacement of the Dsm's if having issues. But check all the connections for corrosion thoroughly! !! They are very sensitive to voltage drop.
    Congrats on the fish.
    Yep - I know it. The boat was recently gutted and re-wired completely - so I know that there is no corrosion. DSM going to RM next week,
    Scarab Sport 302