Back on the IRL

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Back on the IRL

Back on the IRL

Got back in Florida last Tuesday after over a month at sea on New York Maritime Academy's training ship the Empire State. Being over in Europe, cruising the Med and crossing the Atlantic was cool and all but the whole time my mind was on the Indian River! Loaded the Slayer and hit the river to check continue where i left off before my departure. Hit up my Vero Beach backcountry spot twice last week with nuthing to show but a few small snook and one baby tarpon...

All the dirty water from the St Lucie River has blown out all of my night snook spots in Stuart, forcing me and my friends to fish Jupiter. We hit it up Saturday night until 2am with nothing to show but a jack and a few lost jigs...

Kinda starting to feel the heat at this point with only having until Saturday to fish Florida before heading back to Texas A&M for the fall semester. Decided to hit Round Island this afternoon and see if she would produce for me. Couldnt find a trout anywhere, first fish was a mangrove on a topwater lol. Checked some spots in the mangroves for some baby tarpon and snook, but there were none to be found. Ended up getting on a good lane snapper bite out off some of the spoil islands by the ICW. Not the bite I was hoping for, but when everything else is slow you just roll with it. They were hitting the DOA CALs in all colors like crazy which kept me busy, between them and the ladyfish...

Canibalism maybe???

A big sheepshead decided he wanted in on the action!

The bite kept on after the sun went down and the almost full moon came up

Ended up catching 5 lanes, the big sheep, and a dozen or so ladyfish. Called it a night and began the long paddle back under the moonlight, making as much noise as possible as to not surprise a sleeping manatee! I know how that goes

A pic of the middle of the Atlantic on our crossing back to the US, the doldrums... till my next post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1585.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	100300

I fished Jupiter on Sunday and Monday with not much to show for it. A friend lost one nice snook. We did catch a lot of junk fish, jacks, cudas and others. It was a hard to fish weekend. Nice snapper.

That's not a bad effort. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to A&M again this season in the SEC. No more sneaking up on opponents for you guys. ;-)
    http://www.reddit.com/r/kayakfishing - Help the kayakfishing community grow!

Those are muttons, not lanes.
    Mudfish!

Quote Originally Posted by mdm0212 View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by mdm0212 View Post
    Even better, shows how much snapper fishing i do...

Great post and nice pictures. Good luck in your training at New York Maritime Academy. There's a seaman for life.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.

Thanks guys