ObamaCare to Mean Part-Time Work?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ObamaCare to Mean Part-Time Work?

The warnings about ObamaCare from Big Labor and other critics may be coming true, as more evidence surfaces that President Obamaís health care overhaul is causing employers to prepare to push people into part-time work to avoid additional costs tied to the law.

The Affordable Care Act requires mid-sized and large employers to sponsor health insurance for all full-time employees, which it defines as those who work 30 hours a week or more. Big labor unions, which had been in favor of the new law, are now sounding the alarm against it. They argue the sticker shock from the premium hikes is leading businesses to offset the impact by capping hours on employees, despite a recently announced one-year delay in that insurance mandate. If workers donít clock 30 hours a week, the reasoning goes, employers won't have to offer health insurance.

Be careful what you wish for.
    Squid Row
    Why don't we use geothermal energy?

In most places, just a mile beneath the crust, the earth is several million degrees.
    Team Sabatage
    Most places?

Try 18 to 22 miles down before we get to the heat you mentioned, in most places.
    In those places it is only a mile down it is a good alternative.

I already know more than you ever will on all subjects.

Lucky7Team2
    300 billion people on a planet eating, farting, pooing, making stuff, etc

Or this is all a ploy to bring unions back.
    "The internet gives people an opportunity to generate lies faster... and for business reasons." - Eric Schmidt, Google

Quote Originally Posted by greggl View Post
    Or this is all a ploy to bring unions back.
    When I was going to high school/college back 35-40 years I worked for Pubix......( Which by the way, at least at that time, was a great place to learn HOW to treat customers! ) the management was very careful to try and keep employees from working overtime. They'd schedule very carefully and we were supposed to let them know when we got close to it.

Obviously the idea was to not be paying time and a half to what were semi-skilled laborers ( What most of us really qualified as. ) when there were generally others within the store who could do the same job and not be on overtime. Now as I was on early release my senior year and as I was taking it slow with college ( Took a little over 5 years.......as I was paying for most of it myself! ) it was often that I would be working a full 40 hours even though I was classified as part-time.

Beyond that, as I was always wanting/needing more $ I was very willing to work extra hours, anytime someone went on vacation of needed a day off I'd offer to work. This was assuming of course that I could do whatever it was they were generally tasked with.

And do know that I figured out real fast that the more things I knew how to do the more valuable I was and the more hours I could get when I wanted them, which was usually.

But here is where the GVOERNEMNT got in the way......because of the overtime law I seldom if ever managed to get any work beyond 40 hours. Now I was young, could easily work 40+ hours a week, take 2 classes, chase the girlfriend around and still get in a day of fishing.....simply stated I had the energy.

Now you can say that Publix was the problem, that they were GREEDY and wanted to get the work done on the cheap, certainly one view you could take.

But my view at the time, and now, was/is that the PERVERSE incentive forced on Publix by the government was holding me back.

Of course the people who were not so motivated, who did not even want to work the 40 hours offered if they could get by with less, they did not care.

Publix was not evil for what they did nor was the idea behind the overtime law but what I saw graphically as a kid was the unintended consequences of government meddling in areas where they did not belong.......the government was the one that had applied the perverse incentive.

And Obamacare's perverse incentives will somehow have a different effect on people? Not in the real world......

I think he's done more to hurt the middle class, divide the country, sell more ammo, destroy the work force and scuttle his health bill than his wildest imagination could foresee.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

The President has already issues imperial edicts changing implementation dates which are specified in the law that he supported and signed, and NOBODY has challenged him on it. President Obama apparently has the POWER to make any change in a law passed by Congress that he finds expedient, or politically necessary.
    Wait for it..........
    I suspect that if the predicted large increase in part-time workers occurs...the President and his new ultra-left-wing Sec. of Labor will simply issue another edict changing the number of hours that constitute "full-time" status to something like 10 hrs. per week.
    Problem Solved.

Banned
    more evidence surfaces that President Obama’s health care overhaul is causing employers to prepare to push people into part-time work to avoid additional costs tied to the law.

link?

Quote Originally Posted by Squid Row View Post
    The warnings about ObamaCare from Big Labor and other critics may be coming true, as more evidence surfaces that President Obama’s health care overhaul is causing employers to prepare to push people into part-time work to avoid additional costs tied to the law.

The Affordable Care Act requires mid-sized and large employers to sponsor health insurance for all full-time employees, which it defines as those who work 30 hours a week or more. Big labor unions, which had been in favor of the new law, are now sounding the alarm against it. They argue the sticker shock from the premium hikes is leading businesses to offset the impact by capping hours on employees, despite a recently announced one-year delay in that insurance mandate. If workers don’t clock 30 hours a week, the reasoning goes, employers won't have to offer health insurance.

Be careful what you wish for.
    No references, nice troll for people who know less about Obamacare than you do.
    "The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it." George Bernard Shaw

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=940&dateline=13118707  83
    509th Radio Research Group, 224th Aviation Battalion, 146th Aviation Company

University of Virginia Slashes Health Benefits Due to ObamaCare

UPS to drop 15,000 husbands and wives...

40% of companies alter insurance coverage to avoid new health care tax...

Firms turn part-time...
    Squid Row

In most places, just a mile beneath the crust, the earth is several million degrees.
    Team Sabatage
    Most places?

Try 18 to 22 miles down before we get to the heat you mentioned, in most places.

Lucky7Team2

Quote Originally Posted by Conchy Cracker View Post
    link?
    Are you too stupid to find your own link ?

University dumps spouses from health care coverage...

UPS to drop 15,000 husbands and wives...

40% of companies alter insurance coverage to avoid new health care tax...

Firms turn part-time...
    Squid Row

Team Sabatage
    Most places?

Lucky7Team2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast