Transducer Spray on Flats Boat

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Transducer Spray on Flats Boat

Under this current setup, 2 guys in the boat running we don't get any spray from the transducer. Throw in a third or fill the rear livewell and the transducer starts putting off enough spray to get everyone on the rear seat wet with a spray. Makes me think it is to low in the water. It currently reads pretty good, but will loose reading bottom at high speeds. Here is a couple pics of the placement, I have it positioned outside of a high speed pickup.

I don't want to go through the headache of moving it anymore than I have to, so I thought I wold post and get some feed back on what to do.

The boat is a 2010 1890 Action Craft with a 200 HPDI.

Time to go with a through hull.....

I've been chasing a similar problem on my boat (different from yours). I slid it up vertically as far as the mount would let it go in the existing holes and got a significant improvement. I'm thinking about getting a Sternmate mount http://sternmate.com and playing with it. According to the results I've seen with my boat your photos look like it could be to low.

Your position is good, as far as placement is concerned. I would have tried to get it further away from inline with the pickup, thats why you loose it at speed. As far as the spray, you can rig up a piece of plastic, a flap if you will, using the exsisting screw holes or the holes in the bracket if your a bit crafty. A heat gun will help bend the plastic to the desired shape. I like to put the ducers lower, that is, closer to the bottom of the v, so the ducer is in denser, less turbulent water and to avoid this problem you speak of.
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

I agree with "fishknut" with a thru hull transducer. Works great for me!
    Mike

A transducer should be in direct unobstructed contact with the water for an optimum sounding. They are manufactured with that in mind. Transducer installation instructions generally instruct to install the transducer below the running surface. Dragging a transducer at speed tucked up closely to a transom in the "trough" and dragging it below the running surface should be no surprise that all sorts of chaos, "rooster tails" and sounding interference might be experienced. Following basic transom-mounted transducer location rules, and by moving the transducer aftward and up...sometimes above the running surface of your boat, employs a corrective advantage for optimizing a high speed transducer sounding. As far as the risky act of locating smooth, turbulent-free water with "fewer bubbles", in an effort to find a suitable spot for mounting a transducer, all boats create a mess. There is no "clean water" regardless of the design of a boat hull.
    Last edited by c_captn; 08-23-2011 at 10:27 AM.

On my jon boat, transducers are an issue. Too low, you get spray and rocks rip them off, too high, and they don't read right.

I mounted a short piece of Trex deck board on the transom to avoid drilling multiple holes in the hull. Transducer is set too high to read accurately while running, but I get no spray and it reads fine at idle or floating. It also doesn't get broken if/when i run too shallow.
    Member #4013
    Canton, GA

You've got two options with that "kick up" skimmer style transducer... The first is to raise it a bit at a time (until you reach the limits of your existing installation slots in the mounting bracket). Doing that will clear some of your rooster tail - but usually at the expense of your bottom definition when running at speed.... The next choice is to shift the load in your hull if possible (that third angler needs to sit farther forward if possible). You can also change the stand pipe configuration in your livewell so that it holds a bit less water when you're running (a simple swap out back to the regular height standpipe (if so equipped) when you're stationary will bring your water level back up to max desirable...

If neither of these choices (or a combination of both...) don't do the job you're going to need a through hull transducer... good luck, post up about whatever the fix is that you go with....

Aren't boats fun?
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

I had my garmin driver glued in. Reads just fine at all speeds.
    http://www.captain-nate.com/
    "If I had my life to live over again, there are some things Id do differently, but, oh yeah, Id still be a fisherman. No doubt about that."
    Thomas 'Blue' Fulford

The reason why you are loosing the read at high speed is because the stern of the TD needs to be lower than the bow of the TD. You can see in the pic how it's higher. Raise the TD mount on the transom then tilt it deeper in the water. Should cure both the spray and the reading.
    Marine Surveyor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast