Offshore 7-28

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Offshore 7-28

Offshore 7-28

Went out for some grouper Sunday from Ft D (finally my first trip since the season opened). No tidal movement and other issues in the morning made bait catching difficult at the small bridge. Wasted enough time so just headed out. Ran through a solid rain on the way but made it to the area we wanted to fish and the day turned beautiful. Weed pushed in from the west wind made the trolling difficult but we did get a nice 29" gag to the boat as well as 24" spanish. Started bottom dropping with the bait we did have and only found short rg. Tried ledges in 45', 55' and a wreck in 40'. Marked lots of fish but only a few hits. Thought I had them figured out but you go a month plus without checking in and things change. Or maybe its all of you that have been picking on those fish which were so easy to catch not long ago.

Anyways, trying my kingfish spread recipie with the spanish. For sure was a spanish as I have made the mistake of misidentification and made sure to learn the difference between the juvie kings. In the smoker now, interested to see how it compares.

Heres a fresh pick of the gag. My pb by an inch. Plug still in mouth so you can see what got em.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63046_10100977603826018_948352526_n.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	96942

We fished really hard in 120', 105', and 90' with almost nothing to show it for it. Got one nice RG and on Lane snapper. The bite was just terribly slow Sunday morning. I found some spots that absolutely blew up my sonar and could not even get shorts and grunts to eat. We tried anchoring and chumming and no luck, just a few nibbles here and there and that's it.

I was wondering if anyone else was having a day like that.

I like to assume when reports are slow, so was the fishing. At least when my day was slow... One of those days I wish I had my dive gear.

I have heard that it was pretty slow this week coming off the bright moon. Should pick up later on this week.

I did have a friend tear them up though yesterday. not sure if he fished afternoon or morning.

Quote Originally Posted by srqmynatt View Post
    We fished really hard in 120', 105', and 90' with almost nothing to show it for it. Got one nice RG and on Lane snapper. The bite was just terribly slow Sunday morning. I found some spots that absolutely blew up my sonar and could not even get shorts and grunts to eat. We tried anchoring and chumming and no luck, just a few nibbles here and there and that's it.

I was wondering if anyone else was having a day like that.
    Know several that fished on the 28th and came in with nice boxes. 75 ft......you may have driven past them.