My First Tilefish From Kayak

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My First Tilefish From Kayak

Blazing Reels and I hit the sands of Delray Beach this morning before the crack of dawn. We were welcomed with the sight of calm winds and sea. We rush to get out on the water to enjoy the morning bite, so we headed south towards Boca to provide us a little drifting distance. We heard reports of the current picking up strong, but we found out there was none at all. We picked up some good sized Bonitas on the way out which helped us with a good warm up. Our first stop was in about 200 feet of water, we both dropped our jigs a few times and kept an eye on which way the current was flowing. I guess the fish were pretty hungry this morning because on one of my drops I got a double header. I first felt one big slam on my jig and then a few seconds later another big slam, but it was weird because it was going the opposite way. My first thought due to the weight was that I hooked into a good size ray. To my surprise it was two very good size gags.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two Grouper one Jig.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	95796

We stayed in the area for little bite longer playing with more Bonitas and Jacks. We then decided to go out deeper to find some Tuna. In the long search for Tuna we eventually made it out to the depth of 400 feet and to my luck I got another huge slam on my jig right off the bottom. I got all excited as I watched my line scream off my reel and my rod bend all the way into the water. After the long haul from the depths of 400 feet I see that is was just a big AJ

Name:	Deep Aj.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	95790

After a few minutes to get my feeling back into my arms and shoulders we decided to head out deeper, a lot deeper. After so much sun we thought: "Hey lets go out deeper and try to find some north current". We really didn't want to paddle all the way back to Delray Beach. We paddle for along time and eventually gave up trying to find some current to take us back home. So we dropped some jigs and looked at our near empty spools that once was filled with line and started jigging for some Tilefish, Rosefish and other deep dwelling fish. After a few drops I finally got a good pull on my line and I kept saying to my self (don't let it be a another jack) and after the long haul back to the top of the water column I see a nice Tilefish appear; Blazingreels comes over, takes a quick photo and drops his jig and the second his jig hits the bottom another Tilefish is on.

Name:	First Tile Fish.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	95795

That's one fish off the list to be caught from the yak for both of us. We drop a few more times and called it a day. That was one long paddle home but it was worth it

All fish were caught on Tormenter Chubby Jr jig www.tormentertackle.com

sick fish I've been dying to get a tile on the yak. Sick gags too
    Last edited by drichard1986; 07-22-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends

Nice work. A double on gags that is sick.

Great job on the tile. It is the first tile hooked of a kayak that I know of.

Screw the tile, I am more impressed with the gaggle of gags! Nice work.

Sweet!

That's sick! I want a tile from the Kayak so bad!

LOL - I picked the wrong AM to not go out HAHA - When I went to bed, that's when it occurred to me you guys would do well ( because I wasn't going - lol )

Sick work boys !

Double up on nice gags. That's gotta be a rare thing on the kayak.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/kayakfishing - Help the kayakfishing community grow!

awesome!
    Hobie Revo-11 a.k.a. Tub2.0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast