Remington 783 or Ruger American

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking at getting a new deer rifle and scope with out having to take a loan out.
    I have been looking at the new Remington 783 and the Ruger American in 30-06 with a Redfiel Revolution 4 x 12
    Does anybody have any inputs or first hand info they can share? Thanks KP
    Dumb Fish Die First

Haven't heard much about the new 783 from actual owners, but I know a few folks that own an American (one in .243 and and the other in .270) and they really like them.
    Eph. 3:20

The 783 is supposed to be a 770 replacement. Unless it's a whole different gun altogether, I would most definitely get The American.

I wouldn't touch the 783, it even looks like a 710/770. The american feels good and gets great reports on accuracy. I wanted a fast twist 223 and the ruger didn't come that way. I bought the savage 11 trophy hunter package. It was around $500 scope and all. It comes with a Nikon scope. I had a prostaff in the past, and this Nikon is deffinatly clearer and brighter than that one. The Savage will also put the 62 gr tsx into one hole groups. Wal-mart still has 700 adls for less than $400, you can't go wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    . Wal-mart still has 700 adls for less than $400, you can't go wrong there.
    I couldn't agree more on this one.

Thanks for your insight guys. I looked at the Ruger American, Remington 783 and 700 ADL's.
    The 783 won in 30-06. I am waiting on my mounts and rings from Brownells.
    Those 400 dollar 700ADL combo's felt cheap and sloppy by a 700 standard which I have shot a few but were out of my $$ range by the time I put a scope on it. I wasn't gonna buy the cheap ADL combo.
    I liked the Ruger but it didn't feel and fit as good as the 783.
    I will give a first hand report after I get to the range.
    Dumb Fish Die First

Tampa, Little Gasparilla Island, Chassahowitzka
    I bought a 710 in 30/06 for a backup gun. No doubt, it is cheaply made, but it shoots groups almost as tight as my stainless 700.

Went to the range on Tuesday and was sighted in with a 3 shot 1"group with less than 10 rounds.
    Started at 25yds to ck bore sight, 1 shot high and at 10 o'clock walked cross hair over to hole in target with minimal movement of rifle.
    Went to 50yd and 2 in the bull
    Went to 100yd and put 3 in 1"group and pulled one high, I knew the shot was off when I squeezed the trigger.
    Overall I am pretty satisfied, I need to adjust the trigger pressure later when time allows, its a little tight.
    Dumb Fish Die First

I've got a 710 and it's been good for me. I even left the stock scope on it and the only problem I had was a broken trigger guard. My fault and it's made out of plastic.
    I called remington and they sent me a new stock for free. It's always shot where I aimed. The only thing I did was add a little loctite to the rings.
    It's not the prettiest gun out there, but it works for me!

As much as I love my Remington's I would say go model 700 or go with the ruger. Ruger has always been known for good quality I own 2 of there revolvers and love them both. The more I look at the new Remington's the more I diss like what they have evolved into there over all quality has slacked off greatly to suite the quantity and general demand. I have a 700 ADL very old stainless gun one of the original's and its a great gun over all in 7mm rem mag.
    It's sad to say the least to see a good well known company that made a middle of the road priced but yet good reliable gun. Stoop down to the place they are now with the horrible finishes over all just very poor rust up on you before you leave the duck blind basicly and there wood socks have suffered greatly they are not nice to look at any more atleast on there shotguns. And to get anything of any quality you have to meet there prices of $900 and up for a good shotgun/rifle any more sad sad sad!!!

Only reason I went with the 11-87 over a benelli (a.k.a)🍌is I am used to shooting an 870 and I can't stand the rib on them and there foreign sports car look. End of rant lol!
    Last edited by Derek Arsua; 09-11-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast