How Do I Use Google Maps to Locate Good Fishing spots?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How Do I Use Google Maps to Locate Good Fishing spots?

A captain once told me that before he explores a new area he looks at google maps or bing maps to get a bird's eye view of the lay of the water.
    What is he looking for, and how can I use this tool, also?

Excellent tool I tell people the same. Google earth is probably the best tool to 'scower' different areas because it runs faster than bing's bird eye view. Once you find a spot, look at it on Bing to get a better view. You want to look for possible deep holes in the flats or backwater, look for inlets to where you have good flowing water etc.. A spot that I frequent every now and again was found on google earth. I noticed a black spot in a backwater area, turns out it's a hole that's 37' deep (according to fish finder) that holds all kinds of fish, outside of the hole it's about 3' deep at high tide, so you can imagine what it holds. Even seen tarpon in there!!! Good luck..
    Just 'cause the sun don't shine, doesn't mean you can't go fishin'..
    http://www.sixwavelures.com
    100% Handcrafted Wooden Lures & Jig Heads

Dang Moondawg, that hole sounds like a great find!!! Radius, pretty much what he said but I'll add that you also want to look for points of land/mangrove/marsh grass that stick out along a straight stretch of shoreline. Down-tide side of points will create an eddy that predators like to sit in and wait till the tide pushes smaller fish, shrimp, and/or crabs across.

Good luck,
    Alex

It can be a good tool to find very general areas like points, inlets, river/creek mouths, etc. It won't show you underwater structure, depth, salinity, water temperature, tidal flow, etc., however, which is equally and often more important. Sometimes darkness of water color can indicate deep holes or channels, but it's unreliable because of the different inputs that can effect the water color on a satellite photo.

What I find the best about sat maps is to use Google Earth to mark fishing spots, species caught and notes on method or conditions. You can mark & note your own trips as well as fishing reports from the paper, FS, friends, fishing maps, etc. (although if you can't verify the report, it's only as accurate as its source). After awhile, your home-made maps will start to tell you a story about the fishing patterns in certain areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaksquatch View Post
    Dang Moondawg, that hole sounds like a great find!!! Radius, pretty much what he said but I'll add that you also want to look for points of land/mangrove/marsh grass that stick out along a straight stretch of shoreline. Down-tide side of points will create an eddy that predators like to sit in and wait till the tide pushes smaller fish, shrimp, and/or crabs across.

Good luck,
    Alex
    I'll tell you where it is lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Moondawg View Post
    I'll tell you where it is lol..
    Yeah sure: "In the water!" right? I know better than to ask about a spot like that.

Go jack em up!
    Alex

Here ya goClick image for larger version. 

Name:	HOLE.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	4019

Wow that looks pretty cool. I'll have to check out that spot sometime. You just park off the road?

Dang dude! Most people would sell their grandma before giving out a spot that gorgeous! Watch out for 'spot-burners' though.

Thanks and good luck!
    Alex

lol, I know... It's not my favorite spot though and it's not too classified either, I have seen other people out there but still a good spot to fish. My main spot; now that's a secret and I would sell my Grandma before giving that away!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast