Off Shore Mothership Trip

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Off Shore Mothership Trip

This past Wednesday, July 10th six of us chartered the “Fish Taxi” captained by Ryan Wagner out of the Salt Rock Grill for some off shore action. The targets would be grouper, AJ’s, snapper or just whatever was biting. Joining me would be my good friend Mark Watanabe, Rusty Driver, Rob Devore, Edward Ratanun and Tyler Peterson. Arriving before our schedule launch time of 7am, we quickly loaded the 32” Sabalos and made a short trip down the ICW, stopping just short of Johns Pass for fuel. Once done with that we headed out the pass for our 20 mile trip out into the Gulf.

Once out there we made a few attempts on a couple spots, but found ourselves quickly drifting off the fish, so we loaded the kayaks back on a made another short run to an area with a larger bottom structure. The capt then anchored the boat and threw a trailing line off the back, which we tied off to. The reasoning behind this was to keep us over the fish and so we wouldn’t drift and drag the fish with us. If that happened, the fish would scatter off the spot and the bite would die off. So once in position we dropped our baits, which consisted of either cut or whole sardines and live pinfish and the fight, was on. One Red Grouper after another. You had to go through 20 or 30 short ones to get one that was legal to keep, that being larger than 20”s.

This was the custom knocker rig we were using.

Just about the time to load up and make the run home, we ran out of bait. Which was ok as most of us were dog tired from catching so many grouper. It’s hard to describe how hard of a fight a 19” grouper can put up. Without being able to use your back and legs, it puts a strain on your arms and we were all pretty tired at this point. So we loaded up and made the run back to Indian Shores and the Salt Rock.

Would I do it again, sure would. We had a great time. I would like to fish an area with a bit more variety next time, something with a bit more structure rather than the spongy bottom we ended up on. I found getting in and out of my Hurricane Phoenix 14 was very easy. It was no trouble at all to load my milk crate and camera from the side of the boat. I think it’s best to plan out a trip with your fellow anglers and minimize the gear you intend to bring, that way it makes loading and unloading much quicker.

Anyway, it was a blast. Baked grouper was delicious. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Great report. Thank you for sharing the experience. It is a different kind of fishing. I agree with you that it would be better to hit an area with more variety, specially when traveling 20 miles out.... It had to have been an awesome experience though.

Definitely on my bucket list of kayak trips. Nothing wrong with Red Grouper from a yak! Fantastic fighting and eating fish.
    Proud Air Force Vet 93'-00'

2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Nice! I want to do a mothership trip somewhere in the keys, maybe marathon hump (i think thats what its called?)
    Hobie Revo-11 a.k.a. Tub2.0

That looked like a wonderful fishing experience that you guys had. Red grouper, pound for pound, fight nice on light tackle. I was wondering about how much does a trip like this cost per person? This looks like something that needs to be done in South Florida, for offshore fishing with kayaks. I know that there are companies that do this in back country waters, but I can't think of "one" going offshore. Who knows, maybe I spark someone's interest, in doing this here. This would be my ultimate dream business opportunity.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.

The cost was $190 each.

We might be working on a East coast trip soon. Personally I would like to join up with some of the east coast guys and do a drift trip. It would make a great article for the magazine I write for.

Nice trip. 20 miles out wow. I thought 3-4 miles out in Dania was far. The most we logged in was like 17-18 miles round trip. Drifts are definitely the way to go we can cover 20 miles easy.

Nighttime swordfish and I'm in or Tortugas

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Pottymouth View Post
    Nice trip. 20 miles out wow. I thought 3-4 miles out in Dania was far. The most we logged in was like 17-18 miles round trip. Drifts are definitely the way to go we can cover 20 miles easy.
    We have to go out much further here to get to deeper water. Very shallow on our part of the gulf. Much different up in the panhandle, they don't have to go out far to reach deep water. One of the challenges we deal with.

Never heard of one of these trips before, looks like a heck of a time. Do you bring your own yak or are the supplied?

Nice to see that guy with the grouper rocking a HooRag!
    Rock The Rag!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast