Goldfish as bait

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Goldfish as bait

I'm just reading other forums and some one posted info from fwc. In that it said goldfish are not allowed to be used as bait. So I'm curious why is it illegal to use goldfish as bait? Seems like a odd bait to use lol

shiners + red food coloring bingo legal Goldfish

I googled it. I guess goldfish are a invasion species.

thats wierd.. because you can buy them at the pet store for 25 cents each, bring em home and feed em to your oscar... but you cant simply put a hook through one and THEN feed it to a fish?

I used to live in Demopolis Alabama when I was a kid, this lady took me way out in the woods
    to a pond out there and it had bunches of large gold fish in it, seems like I heard they were
    carp ..........

This thread is full of

True goldfish are a type of carp.
    In the northern areas of Florida, they could easily become invasive.

Quote Originally Posted by cbmdk86 View Post
    thats wierd.. because you can buy them at the pet store for 25 cents each, bring em home and feed em to your oscar... but you cant simply put a hook through one and THEN feed it to a fish?
    I think what you are talking about are rosy-red minnows, the ornamental varieties of the fathead minnow, what is commonly found in bait shops. As far as I know, they are legal to use.

FWIW, the pond/lake in my parent's neighborhood in Atlanta is totally overrun with goldfish/koi. They certainly weren't stocked on purpose either.

I know if a lake in Tampa I have seen a 12-15lbs Koi shocked da heck outta ne
    HOTD 68,500 plus views gone apparently too much cleavage, top an bottom cleavage it's Not like it was a thread that drew more Forum Members (and New Members) I had hopes of seeing 500,000 views by Jan 2013

Koi are a sterile hybrid; can't spawn, so they're allowed in ponds and lakes for weed control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast