Loading a Pro Angler 14 on a SUV?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Loading a Pro Angler 14 on a SUV?

If you have a Hobie Pro Angler (PA) and put in on top of your SUV, let me know what works for you. I have an FJ Cruiser with a Baja Rack. It's a pretty serious roof rack and it is rated for 300lbs. I have been loading my Pompano 120 (2008 Tarpon) on my rack with Yakima Hully Rollers in the back and Mako saddles in the front. Even with my 60lb, 12 ft Pompano I feel that I need a roller or some other load assist device that hangs further off the back of the rack.

The idea would be to lift the front of the PA 14 up on the assist roller, then lift and push the back of the PA to get it loaded. I have seen a video of people loading their PA on the roof rack with just a rug, but that seems a little sketchy. My Pompano has slipped off to the side a couple of times while loading and unloading.

Yakima has the Showboat 66 load assist roller, but its only rated for 80lb kayaks. The 140lb PA 14 sounds like too much for it. There is also the Rhino Rack T-Loader, but then I have to have some huge bracket on the back of my FJ.

Any advice from a PA owner is appreciated. I may get a trailer as well, but I would like to be able to keep launching off Dania and Hollywood beaches and not have to go to a boat ramp, then navigate the intercoastal > inlet > ocean.
    Last edited by Dude-On-A-Kayak; 07-15-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Somewhere between the sun that gives us light And the ground that puts it out
    Is it possible to load PA on top of a SUV? Sure, but do you really want to?
    "I throw empty beer cans at the TV when I'm watching the news.
    I hate republicans, I hate democrats, I hate liberals too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pickledvolvo View Post
    There was a PA loaded on a Honda Civic at the FS Bash a few weeks ago so I guess anything is possible.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pickledvolvo View Post
    Yes. Yes I do.

Don't psych yourself out, the PA14 is only 110lbs stripped down.

I watched an older guy (early sixties), up at Round Island, load a PA-12 on a Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape (I think) like it was nothing. He used the rubber backed bathroom rug and carried it on bare crossbars. Two straps across the boat and a line off the bow & stern and he was go to go.

I use the bathroom rug when loading regular kayaks (paddle & pedal) onto the Malone SeaWings on my Ford Sport Trac (tailgate & rear roof). Thank god I've got a small bed w/bed extender and a trailer, cause I would hate to have to load the PA-12 above my head......let alone a PA-14.

But yes, it can be done.

Last edited by Lt.FireDog; 07-01-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    ~Hobie Fishing Team ~ YakAttack Pro Staff ~ RAM Pro Staff ~ Columbia Pro Team~
    ~TEAM SouthRiverOutfitters~

Another SUV PA14 loading.......
    ~Hobie Fishing Team ~ YakAttack Pro Staff ~ RAM Pro Staff ~ Columbia Pro Team~
    ~TEAM SouthRiverOutfitters~

I've found that making things easy is key. You can find a trailer for cheap if you look around. Find a dealer that is willing to let you try and load one and see if it is for you or not.

This should do...

Awesome!

Keith, how did your pompano slide off? I've been loading (using rubber backed bathmat on rear window) the pompano onto my Seawings with ease for months and that has never happened once? I usually hold both side handles, walk it up about half way, then walk to the back and just slide it on up into the saddles. Maybe its your spare tire getting in the way? I'm just curious, not saying you're doing it wrong! I'd just like to know in order to prevent me from doing the same thing.

Every single day I get closer and closer to buying a PA-12...LOL

You're in good shape, I think you can do it.
    FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>----->

2013 Hobie Outback

www.Extremekayakfishing.com

2013 Florida Sportsman College Football Bowl Pick 'em challenge CHAMPION!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast