Clams and Oysters in Tampa?

Florida Sportsman

Clams and Oysters in Tampa?

Went up to Crystal River a few weeks ago and limited out on scallops, it was a bunch of fun. I know some about fishing in the area, but my desire to eat other bivalves is peaked.

I know it is too warm for oysters, but are there any places between Clearwater and Ft. Desoto to oyster (when it cools down) or find some clams? I have gone oystering before over in Edgewater, they are decent, nothing like the real thing, but it is a fun experience.

Any help is appreciated.

I think most of the Tampa area is closed for clams. Not sure though. I've seen a map that shows the closed areas. I'll try to find it.

thank you!

having lived in massachusetts, i have always liked being able to get a whole dinner with out casting a pole. looking forward to splashing some crab traps for blues and stones when the weather cools down.

I found this:

http://www.floridaaquaculture.com/seas/seas_intro.htm

Links on the left to maps and closures. Tampa Bay areas have "conditional closures" for too much rain runoff so you've got to check the daily status page, like here:

http://shellfish.floridaaquaculture...._southgulf.htm

When I was a kid we'd clam in Bunce's Pass, and I remember around '72 oystering with my Dad at the north end of 4th Street (almost to the Howard Frankland bridge). He was just wading, shucking, and eating and put almost none in the bucket. The water had to be nastier then and we lived.

In the early '80s we grabbed a cooler full of oysters from the rocks on the Little Homosassa River and served them at a Super Bowl party in Gainesville. About 2 weeks later I read the news that they were just then lifting the shellfishing ban in the area we harvested from. We lived.

Is it still legal to make coquina soup?

I see Asians getting cohogs all the time out at Ft. Desoto park on the east end. Just wade around and you feel them with your feet then dig them up. Not sure if legal or not though.

Yeah, most of the area is closed, but the areas with good clear flowing water are open most of the time. However, in the rainy season its most always closed. read throug hthe florida aquaculture site and you will learn much.

The problem is E Coli coming from the runoff from houses. Although, I had some clams before I knew this, and FWC told me about the rules and made me throw them out. Well I didnt throw them all out, and I took some to my lab and ran tests, no E Coli. So... I dunno... they are probably fine. But, if you are immunocomprimised, or older or younger than 9 Id say steer clear