Vilano 6-28-2013

Florida Sportsman

Vilano 6-28-2013

After monitoring extraordinary fluctuations in the evening’s weather forecast for St. Augustine, myself and Josh/WDE414 decided to load the Hobie’s and just go. We arrived at the Vilano ramp at around 17:30 and the conditions were excellent. Winds were light from the west and the current was slow and steady outgoing. The plan was to fish the Usina until at least nightfall and mainly drop Got-Cha’s and other heavier lead-heads around the deep spots. When we got to the bridge we quickly racked up multiple trashcan slams but both of us still had high hopes. When the tide was just about bottoming out I hooked-up and boated a 31.5” redfish. Shortly after that I was hooked up again to another redfish right around 31”. Josh caught some bluefish at around that time and kept one for the grill. I managed a keeper trout somewhere in there too that I threw on the ice. Right after dark fell and the tide switched, I managed a perfect 27” redfish that joined the trout on the menu tonight. We then just kept fishing the lights and shadows around the skirts and shook off many more ladyfish. We saw some bait getting worked on top and threw some stuff at them but no takers. Josh also wound up with some small catfish after dark. At around 21:30 we were going to call it, and then I got slammed by an angry redfish that again wound up at 31”. Overall it was a fantastic evening of fishing and weather and we encountered a respectable amount of variety: jacks, ladyfish, trout, redfish, bluefish, pigfish, and catfish. Josh is probably not too happy to have been blanked on the reds but that’s fishing he’ll get them next time. We both had our cameras going so lots of pics!
    Last edited by kayakling; 06-29-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: We arrived at 17:30, not 15:30

Nice!!

I want one of those Hobie's bad!

Good looking reds
    Good job

Great report!

Looked like fun! Good job guys.