Longboat Key surf fishing advice

Florida Sportsman

Longboat Key surf fishing advice

Hello all. NW Forum guy visiting and asking for some advice.

My family and I will be at Longboat Key this weekend. This will be our first time to the area.

We do lots of surf fishing in our part of the state (St. George Island, Dog Island, etc.) We normally fish the trough between the beach and the first sandbar, and typically catch whiting, trout, pompano, and the occasional flounder. Should I expect to be able to catch these fish at Longboat as well ? Do I understand correctly that snook can be caught from the beach at Longboat as well? Would you expect that Pompano are still around ?

Any tips for a newbie to the area are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Well, didn't get any advice but figured I would post what we found.

Fished for 3 days. Pompano action was good every morning until about 9:30 am. Caught 5 keepers on Friday, 2 on Saturday, and 4 this morning. Each day we caught several that were too short. Each morning we were fishing a rising tide.

There was not much bait in the surf, which may be why we didn't catch any trout or snook. In 3 days the only non-pompano fish we caught were small jack crevalle. Bonus fish of the trip was a small Permit. At first glance I thought it was a personal best pompano. But, it was definitely a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by D Day View Post
    Well, didn't get any advice but figured I would post what we found.

Fished for 3 days. Pompano action was good every morning until about 9:30 am. Caught 5 keepers on Friday, 2 on Saturday, and 4 this morning. Each day we caught several that were too short. Each morning we were fishing a rising tide.

There was not much bait in the surf, which may be why we didn't catch any trout or snook. In 3 days the only non-pompano fish we caught were small jack crevalle. Bonus fish of the trip was a small Permit. At first glance I thought it was a personal best pompano. But, it was definitely a permit.
    Thanks for update. Good to hear you caught some fish. What did you catch the pompano on ?

We were using standard pompano rigs (2 gold Kahle hooks with an orange bead in front of both hooks, and a 1oz. pyramid sinker). Couldn't find any sand fleas that were big enough to use for bait, so we used pink Fish Bites strips instead. Sounds funny that a synthetic strip bait would work as well as shrimp or sandfleas, but they do.