Blue crab traps?

Florida Sportsman

Blue crab traps?

Going to put out a trap for some crabs!! Tired of paying for them... Where should I be putting the trap and with what bait works best?? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishingkid315 View Post
    Going to put out a trap for some crabs!! Tired of paying for them... Where should I be putting the trap and with what bait works best?? Thanks
    Hi. The best bait (which I have had the best luck with) is turkey/chicken necks. You can buy them in a pack in the grocery store. They are located in the same area as the raw chicken breasts, turkey stuff. If you don't see it, ask. They are pretty cheap. I would never buy crabs as bait since I can get them right in our back yard. The local bait shop charges $2 per crab. I use to have a trap (need to buy a new one) that I would just lower into the bottom of the canal (tied with rope to the piling) & check every couple of hours to see how many crabs I caught. Sometimes I have even got pin fish in there too. Good luck!

most of the commercial crabbers i know use catfish for bait.. i use whats left of the carcasses after cleaning fish..

but then again, the majority of what i caught in my traps were sheepshead lol

Cant beat a mullet honestly...

Chicken necks or cow lips

Sent from my Crab Trap using Tapatalk 2

Do you want to eat them?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

Set the traps in potholes on grass flats, if you have a big freezer go to the nearest fish house and buy a box of frozen pigs feet, they will last a Long time and the crabs love em! Trust me I know.

Any fatty meat works great.

Mango man - no he is wanting them for tarpon.

Just fyi, have heard the one off traps have been going missing more and more lately in Sarasota/Tampa area. Just a heads up, might want to keep closer to a non-populated area compartively.