NEW for 2014! PENN's Conflict Spinning Reel - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sounds like the perfect upgrade from the battle 1000 for kayak fishing. Any chance it's Philly made?

Only reels with MSRP of $200.00 or over are made in USA I believe. Penn will correct me if I am wrong.

Senior Member Pescatoral Pursuit's Avatar
    Have you changed the oscillation speed/ line lay pattern from the Battle?

And two thumbs down with the eva grip.
    "Sometimes things are exactly as they seem."

Whats up with the line capacity looks like they got it backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Pescatoral Pursuit View Post
    Have you changed the oscillation speed/ line lay pattern from the Battle?

And two thumbs down with the eva grip.
    They claimed to have adjusted the oscillation and changed spool height

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jcanracer View Post
    Seems to be the next evolution of the Battle reel. I think that is going to be a straight-up replacement for my BTL5000.

However, Penn is pitching it to the "technical inshore angler" so that makes me wary of its ability to withstand offshore conditions, similar to what we have seen with the Battle (examples: my bearing going bad on the btl5000, the other member's btl4000 handle locking up).
    Have I been misusing my Battle by taking it offshore in my kayak as my jigging reel? Would I be misusing the Conflict if I treated it the same way? Genuinely want to know since I still plan to buy one as soon as it comes on the market.
    I see your problem with the battle. You shouldn't be using the 5000 for jigging. The reel doesn't hold enough line and is not tough enough. I vertical jig with the 7000 and have no problems whatsoever. You should upgrade or you will have the same problems. This will hold true to the smaller conflict's as well. I love my battles but want a reel to switch out with them.

Also I want to know whether I should wait for the conflicts to come out or just get a spinfisher v for vertical jigging?

The Conflict is made overseas.

Line capacity is basically the same as the Battle (just curious....how do you get capacity backwards.....or are you saying we went backwards/made a mistake?). We added a 2500 size in between the 2000 and 3000, and bumped the 3000 up by about 10%. We dropped the 7000 size and bumped the 6000 by about 5%.

Spool height and dimensions have changed (oscillation system is basically the same), which has indeed improved the line lay. We have also increased the diameter of the spool lip which helps keep anglers from overfilling their spools which promotes wind knots.

We are pitching the 1000-4000 reels to the technical inshore angler....weight savings is the story on these sizes (they have a graphite reinforced rotor, drilled out handle arm and spool). The 5000-8000 sizes have a full metal body (rotor, side plate, body/frame) and will hold up as well as the current Battle reels.

Any other questions let me know.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by PENN View Post
    Jcanracer - you're not abusing your Battle by jigging from a kayak, but just know that bearings eventually go bad when exposed to saltwater. Kayak guys have been gravitating to the Spinfisher V since it's water tight....but I suspect some of them will also use the Conflict because it uses all sealed ball bearings (Battle uses shieded bearings).

Jetex - yes and no...we made a change to the painting process on Fierce, Sargus, Battle about 18 months ago. The Conflict will use this new process as well. There are still some reels in the market that have the paint flaking issue, if you were unfortunate enough to recieve one of those we'll be happy to swap you out.

Mike
    I have a Penn Battle 5000 that has a paint flaking issue. how would i go about getting this reel swapped? should i send you guys a pic like last time, or just send the reel into you guys? I also wanted to thank you for your great service when I had the problem with my battle 4000 handle. Penn rules!

Fishboy - please send the reel to:

PENN
    Attn: Tony Dubeck
    3028 W. Hunting Park Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19132

We will take care of it under warranty.

Thanks,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast