6-15-2013 - Port Saint Lucie Offshore Fishing Report:

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

6-15-2013 - Port Saint Lucie Offshore Fishing Report:

Got a full boat today aboard the AF. Rick and Emmerson are back and they are joined with John from their work. This is John’s first time aboard and offshore in Florida.

My question is how long will it take Emmerson to go to sleep. Here’s a few shots of Emmerson from the past.

I picked up a bunch of baits from the bait guy before the crew arrived at 6am. The ramp was packed this morning from around 5:30am on. Must have been a tournament today.

We exited the SLI around 6:30am and headed to the NE spot for some baits after talking to Vindawg who was at Bullshark already. We picked up one blue runner and some huge Cigar Minnows.

Daymaker was there joining in on the fun.

The goal today was to run until we find good weeds or debris. The winds are suppose to switch around and come out of the east in the early afternoon hours. We made a quick stop at the Hill to make one drift while I chunk up some baits for the fins later. We put the lines way out and a troller comes along and hooks boat rods with his gear.

They were able to get back most of the line. I re-rigged both poles right after sending out a couple more baits. No luch here so the next stop was in 800ft on a very small line of weeds. It didn’t take long for Emmerson to hit the front deck

Continued east and found our next small line in 1000ft and worked that for a bit too with no luck. Pointed east and made it out to 1500ft and worked another small line with nothing chewing. We are now 29 miles from the dock. We still were able to pick up the automated radio check on Channel 27 (barely)...

We headed back west and came across this floating with some baits under it and worked it with chunk baits and the usual menhaden mixes…

It was then that we found out why we were having bad luck. John just tossed out a banana that he had in his color as it got mixed in with water and was soggy and then Emmerson pulls out a small bunch of bananas from his bag.

We rectified that situation in short order

We continued west and hit another weedline in 700ft as Emmerson assumed his position again

We decided to dial in the AJ Spot and hopefully break the skunk off the morning since we ditched the bananas. In 500ft I spot the break we needed. My good luck charm. A Flip Flop

We hit the AJ spot at the same time as another boat that was trying to anchor up in the 3-4knot current. We make a couple of drops before they hooked up with our lone runner with no bites.

Seen a line of boats just west of us so headed over there and found an awesome rip in 117ft. We dropped in some more pilchards and finally Rick gets hooked up to break the ice.

Remora

We continue to work the area when Emmerson spots some fish close by, busting on a large piece of red Styrofoam. We pull in the lines and run over to a large school of fins. The Flip Flop has done its job

John gets his bait in the water and within seconds gets hooked up.

After John fights with his fish, after it was in the boat , we tagged an released this one.

We get a shout out from Unhooked out in 600ft who was on a tree but we opted to stay here to see if we can find a bigger fin in the mix. Thanks for the shout out Scott.

We spot VinDawg just north of us and called him over to join in on the fun.

Emmerson catches another tag an release fin but I tossed it into the water before I snapped a pic. Sorry Emmerson

The fins turned off and wouldn’t chew anymore so we changed things up and started slow trolling the livey’s around this area. Both John and Rick get hooked up but the fins came unglued.

Emmerson’s bait gets nailed and this one stays connected all the way to the fish box. Nice gaffer to end the day…

His smile says it all…

It is now around 3:00pm so we dial in the SLI that is 11 miles southwest of us and make the quick run in at nearly wide open. It was a gorgeous day on the water today with a nice breeze all day long.

As we pull into the pocket the crew spots another luck charm

Emmerson gave his fish to John as he is having a cookout tomorrow. Let me know how that fish tasted John… We sure had to work for that one all day long

Today’s Tally
    3 for about 8 Fins – 2 tag & released and one gaffer
    1 Remora – And no, this time it wasn’t mine

How did you all make out today?

Tip of the day

I modified my set-up on the yellow jug we used last week. I found that the braided line becomes tangled too easy as well as trying to get the line off that small spool (pipe tape spool) takes too long.

I cut the braid about 10” from the cap and tied on a snap swivel. I then took a piece 18-20ft of 80lb Fluorocarbon and crimped on a hook on one end and a loop on the other.

I then used a piece of Velcro to hold the looped together line so all I have to do is snap the loop onto the swivel and remove the Velcro and we are good to go.

The only thing I have to do now is remember to use it. I completely forget about it during our Chinese fire drill with the small fins we got into today.

Random pics on the day

Last edited by Alwaysforward; 06-16-2013 at 05:04 AM.
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Special shout out to GSpot who, while I was offshore fishing, dropped of 2 Shimano TEKOTA 700 reels mounted to Penn Mariner Stand-up rods. Thanks for the fighting belt & reel covers as well Richard. Thanks for hanging on to them for so long for me. Much appreciated. Enjoy the fin filets
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Nicely done. As always great photos.
    Headed out with a full boat myself this morning.

Nicely done Jeff. What's wrong with bananas?

Sent from my Droid tablet

Get the Latest Checked~Out Videos: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_...er=thepaulboat

Nice report AF
    Notes to Jeff:
    1-Frisk guests for bananas
    2-Start fishing after you find the flip flop

Jeff,

Great report.. very entertaining..

I was aboard the Swordawet with Pete yesterday down in Jupiter but we were able to hear the calls going back and forth.

Kudos for Scott calling us all over to the phin spot.. that was awesome!!!

Cheers buddy

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

Way to go Jeff, Happy Father's Day!

Thanks for the call over, we weren't able to get any of them to eat but we had a decent day anyway...Caught and released one Sailfish and jumped off another later on, also 2 small dolphin before noon...After that we didn't get any more bites. All came drifting the hill with livies.

That's hysterical that you have all those pics of your friend sleeping on the bow... Nice Mahi's....
    Thanks,
    LastMango

Great report Jeff !!!! Ill try to get down there soon to do some double team action.

Catchem up!!!!
    BW
    Bravo Whiskey
    1997 Key Largo 201
    99 honda 130

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast