Choosing Skiff: ?Egret 189 ?Ranger Ghost 184 ?Hewes Redfisher 18 - Troubled by choice

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Choosing Skiff: ?Egret 189 ?Ranger Ghost 184 ?Hewes Redfisher 18 - Troubled by choice

Hi all,

I am from Australia and fish a fair bit in the bay. Hence, currently I use a bay-type boat which crosses over to being a flats boat when chasing such flats species. However, in certain areas, chasing Golden Trevally on the flats, Aussie Permit, etc, a flats skiff would be ideal. Some of the guides are using the Hewes Redfisher which seems to perform well, however, I'm in my research phase and currently after looking at some forums, sites, reviews, etc, also, personal asthetic tastes, I've come down to a few choices:
    Ranger Ghost 184
    Egret 189
    Hewes Redfisher 18

The Egret 189 has become top of my list.

I understand the differences between a technical poling skiff and a flats skiff so that is not exactly the issue. I also know, no matter what boat you are in, a cross wind, cross current spray is generally going to occur. I'm looking for you forumites who have extensive experience with these types of skiffs to provide the pros, cons, advantages and disadvantages, differences in the hull design and construction if possible to enable me to make a good informed choice.

To get to the areas where I fish, at times it can become choppy, especially during strong tidal surges. Most times, I am not going out to fish rough weather as the fish I chase do not respond to such, hence chasing pelagics such as mackerel and longtail tuna would not be a problem in a skiff.

I hope that information helps somewhat. And thank you for your responses

Michael
    East Coast Sportfishing Ventures
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Certified Casting Instructor
    Brisbane, Australia

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
    Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...gret-189-Build

Renegade posted a build of a beautiful 18, he liked it so much he upgraded to the 2011

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...m-Build-Thread

another beautiful boat.

With their rough water ability, and flat/bay layout, it sounds like an egret would suit your needs nicely.

CMD

Thanks for the thread information CMD.

The build quality of the Egret is incredible. I'm in awe of the attention to detail with every part of that boat. The Egret is certainly a special designed boat. I guess it is more difficult for me as I live in Australia, however, I'll make contact with Egret Company and go from there. Thanks you very much.

Michael
    Brisbane, Australia

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Even though its called Florida sportsman, we are happy to help anyone, from anywhere. You never know when someone may return the favor with request for info on Australia.

We have several members who have owned more than one egret, so if you have any specific questions. They are a wealth of information.

CMD

I agree, the Egret is a terrific boat. I have owned 3 Maverick/Hewes/Pathinder boats and they are good also. You might want to consider the Maverick 18.5 Master Angler instead of the Redfisher. I think it is more comparable to the Egret.

Egret is on different level all together. If you have to cross any open water, the Egret will get you there drier and more comfortable than the rest.

Call Frank at Egret. Also, there is an active Egret section here... http://forums.floridasportsman.com/f...70-Egret-Boats
    This signature intentionally left blank.

The Egret is a great choice for the conditions you fish in. Do you pole your boat? If you plan on using a trolling motor to get you moving on the flats then consider an Egret 2011(20'11'') model. It floats in the same depth of water but as hard to believe as it is can handle more rough water than the 189.You are not going to pole it though. Let me know if you have any questions.

Build thread here http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...m-Build-Thread

There is an issue that I have been researching with the Egrets which I'm sure you guys will be able to answer.

Two issues have been raised in my research:
    a. hull slap
    b. poling

I will be poling the skiff on the flats as I'll be chasing Golden Trevally, Aussie Permit and other species, so the Egret 189 is more my consideration over the 2011. So, I do need the vessel to be poling friendly.

Secondly, chasing tuna, mackerel and other species it requires a fairly "silent" approach and hence hull slap needs to be kept to a minimum. I will be using a trolling motor as certain areas I am in are not poling areas but rather trolling areas around shallow reef bay islands chasing species like Australian Snapper, Emperor, Sweetlip, etc.

I'm not fishing overall rough water, as rough water around the bay is quite dangerous overall and becomes quite unfishable waterways, so most times, "rough" water is very manageable here. I wouldn't be taking clients out as the cross current and cross winds with shallow waters creating turbulence are not nice all-round, even in my vessel now.

So, hopefully you'll be able to let me know about the experiences you guys are having with the Egrets and also, why is it therefore, if the issues are not really major, that others see massive problems and hence have steered away from the Egret. Is it because they are more looking at a technical poling skiff?

Michael
    Brisbane, Australia

I had concerns about hull slap when I bought my 16 Egret because I was coming from a Maverick HPX which is absolutely silent. The Egret is slappy but I have learned that there are only a couple of chop directions that bother it - 95 times out of 100 I can just setup from an angle where it isn't an issue and the boat is super stealthy. For what it's worth, I can't remember my old Hewes LT 18 (pretty much the same mold as the redfisher) being any more quiet than my Egret. Can't speak for the Ranger product.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast