Ultralight Bull.

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultralight Bull.

Fished the Indian River today, and the water is DARK. Super brown, but the fish are there, and they still have to eat. Launched the kayaks at 5:30 to an overcast sunrise. Decided to give my ultralight a workout today, 4-10lb Seagis with a 1000 Saros, 8 lb braid. We started throwing topwater plugs, and they started getting hit. Caught a lot of trout early, and hooked up with a nice red that came unglued on the zara spook jr. Looked for tails, saw none. Kept plugging away with topwater until it stopped working around 10 or 11. Started throwing a DOA CAL shad tail and caught a few more nice trout, and hooked up with the first red of the day trolling it behind me (and working it a little) while moving across the flat. 27.5

The artificial bite slowed a bit after that, so we decided to deploy a few fresh mullet chunks out. Was throwing two lines out on the deeper section of the flat and the action started to heat up. First I nailed a 30 incher as a storm was passing

and then we had a double hook up of slightly over 30 inch reds. I had to play these fish and chase them down to not get spooled on the light tackle, they all seemed to hit the bait on the light rod. Maybe because of the lighter leader I was using on it (20lb floro). I finally get a screaming hit quickly after re-deploying baits, and the line is dumping off the little Saros 1000. In about 4 seconds I was starting to see the spool through the braid, as I was unhooking from my makeshift anchor (my paddle). I got free just in time and started to chase down this fish. I was trying to play it as best I could, and it was dragging me all over the place. My rod was doubled over, my drag was locked but still screaming, and I was very afraid something in the setup would break, possibly the rod. I see the huge tail, and know I'm in for a long fight.

Finally the beast rolls over, and gives up. I applied boga grips and it was a caught fish.

Revived very quickly, and off to spawn or whatever those big fish do.

Thanks to user EasternGlow for help taking the pics! I'd post yours but I know some people may be wary of posting their photos online for the masses.

Some real Pigs ! Nice !

How do you like that seagis??

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
    How do you like that seagis??
    A lot! sporty on small trout, and as I learned today, can handle BIG fish. I wouldn't fish it around structure or heavy current though...

woooooooo. great fish.
    i just got an 8-17 full grip seagis. tried the split a long time ago, butt was too long for my liking. waiting to try the new one out, feels great.
    TeamAWE SON!! Fishing
    @team_awe_son

Very nice!

very nice

Nice report and nice fish! Good for you for taking up the challenge by downsizing the tackle!
    Hobie Revo-11 a.k.a. Tub2.0

That last red looks like a beast. Well done
    Proud Air Force Vet 93'-00'

2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12

you are the f'n man chuck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast