Brutal at the Bridge, but a Bahia Honda Slam

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brutal at the Bridge, but a Bahia Honda Slam

After a late night trip yesterday, we thought the best way to catch the midday outgoing tide while the winds allowed was to run up to Bahia Honda again. David and I bucked the east wind to reach the protection of the bridge, but found little relief from the wind and waves when we got there. The wind direction quartered the current, augmenting the waves and making it hard to keep baits where they needed to be. Weeds were also a bigger problem than last week.

We had several hits and drag pulls before the first hookup, but that ended up being a nice 75# tarpon. A few minutes later another hit but no hookup, then a bait down deep was taken. The fish ran long but stayed deep, and when we caught up with it we were pleasantly surprised that it was a 40# permit. We've caught a few permit here from time to time, but none this size.
    Hopefully the GoPro video turns out well...here's a screen shot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	permit screenshot.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	87128

Several other crabs were taken deep without hookups, and we assumed there were more permit around the pilings. David feathered his bait down around the piling, and felt the take. Again the fish stayed deep, but this time didn't run far. After we drifted into the clear, some pump-and-winds brought the fish to the surface. No permit this time: David's fish was a really nice snook!

Name:	photo-9.jpg 
Views:	777 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	87117

As the conditions deteriorated we made the rough trip back to Cudjoe, feeling we had made the best of what we had to work with in catching what David now calls a "Bahia Honda Slam."

A brief thunderstorm passed through in late afternoon, and gave us a very short window of calm as it left. One last quick trip to a nearby basin provided David with another tarpon, 1/4 the size of the big fish he caught last night. Under better conditions we finally got some decent photos...we'e mostly been videoing.

Name:	Tarpon 19-016.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	87120

Name:	Tarpon 19-035.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	87123

Name:	Tarpon 19-034.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	87124

Name:	Tarpon 19-064.jpg 
Views:	767 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	87121

Name:	Tarpon 19-059.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	87122

Within minutes the winds kicked up again and drove us off the water, and barring some unexpected blessings it doesn't look as though they'll stop this week.

Senior Member latitudeajustment's Avatar
    Really nice report, you guys made the best of it. Sweet pics, I am sure the video will be cool. Love permit in the water pic! Yeah, looks like this blow will just not be letting up until the end of the week, ugh!

Congratulations on the slam. Superb photos.

I believe that is the first photo of a locally caught Snook I have ever seen posted on this forum. Congrats!
    Capt. Tom Urban, "urbanRenewal", Cudjoe Key, FL www.LooeKeyReefAdventures.com

Another busy day for you Bert. Well done.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanRenewal View Post
    I believe that is the first photo of a locally caught Snook I have ever seen posted on this forum. Congrats!
    Our other son, Hunter, caught a slightly smaller one from the same spot three or four years ago...on occasion I'll see them on the Bahia Honda webcam.
    Years ago I saw a large group of snook hiding next to structure along Sugarloaf Creek.

good job i love that place

Great day.

Nice report and pictures! I wouldn't be too worried about the wind, most boats out there yesterday were fine. Perhaps you need to take a look at your crew and make sure they are not spineless googans!

Quote Originally Posted by MacMacon View Post
    Nice report and pictures! I wouldn't be too worried about the wind, most boats out there yesterday were fine. Perhaps you need to take a look at your crew and make sure they are not spineless googans!
    We were back there yesterday and this morning...had a good bite and leadered multiple fish both times; this morning's conditions were really pretty good. And, yes, our crewmembers are spineless googans!
    --Bert, Head Googan
    Last edited by DogDoc; 05-29-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast