Wahoo from a Kayak

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Wahoo from a Kayak

Title says it all. I rolled out this morning to get a little time on the water, since I have to work an evening shift today. I had visions of landing another Cobia after seeing my boy's slob from yesterday. Well, it didn't take long. I had a 25lb Cobia decide to hit my Yozuri deep diver after I got out past the second bar. Fought a short fight and had him yak side. Hit him with the gaff and he flips out doing the gator roll. In the process he slips off the gaff and bent out the treble on the lure and off he swam. I was livid. Cussing at no one for hours. Pulled up one trophy snapper on a spot, then moved to another pulling the only live bait I had, a big hardtail. Well somehow he wiggles off, so now I am stuck pulling nasty cigsicles I had. On the way to our famed Trigger hole I see some birds working the water pretty hard. I start heading that way when I notice an odd thump on the King rig. Bout to get even more upset cause I figured it was remora time. Pick up the pole and start to move a little more when I feel deadweight grab the bait. It felt substantial, so I did my Bass fisherman impression and set the hook as hard as I could. That's when **** hit the fan. 200 yds of line came off my spool in seconds. I could see smoke coming out of the reel. I start hauling *** towards the fish to try and catch up. The only time I have ever seen line move that fast was when I accidentally hooked flipper. 15 minutes I'm working this fish. I take some line and he hauls *** again. All this time I had no idea what it could be. There was no jumping and I couldn't see color till he came along side the yak. When I did finally see him, all I saw were stripes. Big stripes! I'm kinda upset that my main GoPro didn't start recording when I hit the button. But I did get footage from my front camera right when I landed him. You will get a chuckle out of my antics. I got a little overzealous in my celebrating. 36lbs and 54". I don't know if this year can get any better, but it's been a hell of a ride so far! Tight Lines!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qyP3KHyuDw

Bad azz

WOW...that is badass! Its on my to-do lis as well although Wahoo arent found around where I normally fish (Cedar Key, Crystal River - although I could be wrong.). Just out of curiosity, what type of gaff do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginzu View Post
    Title says it all. I rolled out this morning to get a little time on the water, since I have to work an evening shift today. I had visions of landing another Cobia after seeing my boy's slob from yesterday. Well, it didn't take long. I had a 25lb Cobia decide to hit my Yozuri deep diver after I got out past the second bar. Fought a short fight and had him yak side. Hit him with the gaff and he flips out doing the gator roll. In the process he slips off the gaff and bent out the treble on the lure and off he swam. I was livid. Cussing at no one for hours. Pulled up one trophy snapper on a spot, then moved to another pulling the only live bait I had, a big hardtail. Well somehow he wiggles off, so now I am stuck pulling nasty cigsicles I had. On the way to our famed Trigger hole I see some birds working the water pretty hard. I start heading that way when I notice an odd thump on the King rig. Bout to get even more upset cause I figured it was remora time. Pick up the pole and start to move a little more when I feel deadweight grab the bait. It felt substantial, so I did my Bass fisherman impression and set the hook as hard as I could. That's when **** hit the fan. 200 yds of line came off my spool in seconds. I could see smoke coming out of the reel. I start hauling *** towards the fish to try and catch up. The only time I have ever seen line move that fast was when I accidentally hooked flipper. 15 minutes I'm working this fish. I take some line and he hauls *** again. All this time I had no idea what it could be. There was no jumping and I couldn't see color till he came along side the yak. When I did finally see him, all I saw were stripes. Big stripes! I'm kinda upset that my main GoPro didn't start recording when I hit the button. But I did get footage from my front camera right when I landed him. You will get a chuckle out of my antics. I got a little overzealous in my celebrating. 36lbs and 54". I don't know if this year can get any better, but it's been a hell of a ride so far! Tight Lines!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qyP3KHyuDw

NICE
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!

B effin A

Awesome, especially pissing the wahoo off with a big hook set and getting the adrenaline going when he decides to smoke your reel!

Sure would like to hook a wahoo out of the yak. Seen some big spanish but never hooked one. My most fun to date was hooking small tarpons and big jacks.

Nice catch!
    what kind of tackle were you using?
    Hobie Revo-11 a.k.a. Tub2.0

Thats awesome you'll be eating good tonight!
    Southern Charm 25ft.Center Console Seacat

Its a gaff I got from tackledirect. My last one got wrecked by a 45lb Cobia, so I had to upgrade.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast