Temperature Breaks Offshore

Florida Sportsman

Key Largo, FL/Bradenton, FL/Steinhatchee, FL

Temperature Breaks Offshore

Just a quick question for any of you willing to contribute. I hear a lot about looking for "temperature breaks", rips, upwellings, etc. while offshore. How much of a temperature break are we talking typically, and do a lot of you specifically look for this in addition to the other signs (birds, debris, etc.)? I made it a point to look the other day while I was out and never saw more than maybe a degree or so of shift in temps. Most of the time it was low 77's to upper 77's, near 78. I know inshore, a degree or so can really make a difference to where fish will hold, especially during the extreme temperature cycles, but how much of a temperature change can be seen in one of these upwellings?

Meant to post this in the General section, my apologies.

Good question.

I am curious to hear some answers also.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!

The last four weeks, I have been fishing by looking for the 1 degree break in the area of 900' to 1200'. Every trip I have caught decent dolphin and 9 out of 10 have been just past the temp break. When I find it I troll into the current and watch so I don't lose the break. Lately it has been clear and is the edge of the stream mainly in the high 77's like 77.8. But if I see 75 water and a one degree to 76 or 76.5, Thats it and I fish it.
    Due to the Current State of the Economy,

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!

Wow, that is exactly what I was looking for, I appreciate that. I was really paying attention the other day, and never saw more than a 1 degree swing (stayed upper 77 to low 77 mostly), but we also didn't push past 900 or so. Thanks for the reply, and I will certainly use that to key in on things in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron@.38 Special View Post
    The last four weeks, I have been fishing by looking for the 1 degree break in the area of 900' to 1200'. Every trip I have caught decent dolphin and 9 out of 10 have been just past the temp break. When I find it I troll into the current and watch so I don't lose the break. Lately it has been clear and is the edge of the stream mainly in the high 77's like 77.8. But if I see 75 water and a one degree to 76 or 76.5, Thats it and I fish it.