Micklers Landing was a bust!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Micklers Landing was a bust!

Set up for some X-tream surf fishing this morning at Micklers landing at 6:30am. The fisherman conditions were great. Seas 0-1, slight SW breeze, 800' north of the board walk; little to no people. Setup just shy of a run-out and fished in the depression. Caught 6 sand perch, 4 small sharks and 1 sail cat. My buddy Mark busted the surf with me until 11. The water was still a little cool for my liking and the water was still very murky. Weeds are all gone. Few if any bait fish in the surf. No pomps or whiting, but I didn't have to do yard work either.

The highlight was talking to a few beach walkers and finding a few sharks teeth. I also found my first Florida moonstone on the beach (Actually I found two). Sorry, no pic's.
    X-tream Surf Fishing

Good report
    Thanks
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com

Sorry no dinner. Sweet find on the Moonstone. Please try and get some pics of them. Would like to see them. You do know they are the Fla. gem stone.

He knows. He is a gem hunter. Has some super cool stuff. Hopefully he will post some pics of it.

www.jccarpetcare.com

I'm interested too!
    Had to move some office stuff this morning. Wish I coulda made it.
    Cool stuff!

www.jccarpetcare.com

Quote Originally Posted by kajo View Post
    Florida Moon stone don't look like that. Commercial dealers get their moon stones from other places on earth and they come in almost every color and clairity. Florida Moon stones are gray and non-translucent because they are stained with magnesium (The same reason fossil sharks teeth are black). However they do have a reflective chatoyancy (In gemology, chatoyancy (pron.: /shə-TOY-ən-see), or chatoyance or cat's eye effect, is an optical reflectance effect seen in certain gemstones). Believe it or not, Florida moon stone are not native to Florida at all. That is to say they did not grow or form in Florida. Moon stone found in Florida are a result of southern erosion from the Smokey Mountains over the past 5 million years or so. You see at one time Florida did not exist at all. Florida was formed from the eroding Smokey Mountains and with the erosion of all this dirt also comes all the material. Among these minerals was the moonstone as one of the first arrivals from the eroding mountains. As the mountains continued to erode lower and lower until other minerals made their way to Florida like, Gold, Titanium, Zircon to name a few of the many commercially mined minerals today. The most notable commercial miners of these mineral is The DuPont Corp. Their mining efforts are most noticeable through West Jacksonville through Keystone and Starke.

This link talks more about Florida Moon Stone and its historical significance. http://www.flheritage.com/kids/symbol.cfm?id=17
    The moon stones found at Mecklerís landing will be small, gray and look like a tiny river tumbled pebble. Most about can be the size and shape of a large grain of rice or a green pea but dark gray in color. Turn the stone around in all directions in the sun light and if it has a reflective white/light gray layer inside, you've found a Florida moon stone. I hope this helps!
    X-tream Surf Fishing

Almost forgot! I went back to Micklers landing Sunday afternoon late and didn't catch a thing, but I did find more moon stones.
    X-tream Surf Fishing

Ok u need to post a pic of them moonstones lol

U know shell and she wants one lol

www.jccarpetcare.com

We started at Micks around sunrise Friday, couldn't buy a bite. Fresh dead shrimp, clams and blue crab. 2 sand perch. packed up and went south.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast