Lower Keys Permit 5-6-13

Florida Sportsman

Lower Keys Permit 5-6-13

Had a very short window of opportunity today due to time constraints, but definitely not due to weather. It was absolutely gorgeous. Flat calm and clear water, which is perfect for sight fishing Permit on the reef line. We took 3 crabs with us for 3 people. It took us about 5 minutes to start seeing a few small wads here and there and then we started seeing bigger packs. Once we found the larger groups it was game on and we traded in those crabs for 3 Permit. We handled them just enough to take a quick picture then back in the water asap. Seemed like we unintentionally timed our arrival with an outgoing tide, I think that helped some on the cooperative bite. Tight lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010006.jpg   P1010007.jpg   P1010008.jpg  

Key Largo, FL/Bradenton, FL/Steinhatchee, FL
    Were you guys in proximity of a wreck, or cruising the reef line and sighting? This, along with catching a mighty wahoo, are very high atop my fishing bucket list. I WILL catch both this year! Beautiful fish Captain, thanks for sharing.

All I see is permit & teeth (smiles). Wish I was there with the fly rod. Well done Hoover.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.

Sparse, I'd didn't have any crabby flies, but I'm gonna fix that before we get back out there.

Chewdog, we were in the general vicinity of structure.