BEYOND THE DRY TORTUGAS BANKS - Page 3
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaphappy View Post
    You could count me in as a sure thing IF....Greg could some how make 2 of the 3-5 days fall on the weekend. I can always stack a couple days on either side of a weekend but it's tough for me to commit to mid week charters because I can rarely take a Monday thru Friday off.
    This whole thing is very appealing and exciting to me, going to where no man has gone before in the pursuit of monster fish and on the Yankee Capts mind you.
    Looks like it will be mostly deep dropping so perfect reason to start looking for yet another tackle set up.
    A smaller group of anglers,a private charter, willing to be part of the adventure and explore this new track on the Yankee Capts, not for the weak at heart but it will be your closest shot at hauling a monster, like a big Misty, golden tile fish and many other sea monsters.
    I'm starting to spread the word around to all the bottom junkies I've met on the Y.C. throughout the years and I already have a handful of committed people so please post HERE if seriously interested and let's make this happen.

There's a boat out of tarpon springs (gulfstarfishing.com) that runs these types of trips. They fish in depths over 500'. Looks like some people use electric reels on car batteries while others use manual gear. I wouldn't want to reel up a 100 plus lb warsaw up from that depth manually. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Sounds like an exiting trip with endless possibilities. If it happens, can't wait to see the reports.

Good luck and catch 'em up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoogan View Post
    This whole thing is very appealing and exciting to me, going to where no man has gone before in the pursuit of monster fish and on the Yankee Capts mind you.
    Looks like it will be mostly deep dropping so perfect reason to start looking for yet another tackle set up.
    A smaller group of anglers,a private charter, willing to be part of the adventure and explore this new track on the Yankee Capts, not for the weak at heart but it will be your closest shot at hauling a monster, like a big Misty, golden tile fish and many other sea monsters.
    I'm starting to spread the word around to all the bottom junkies I've met on the Y.C. throughout the years and I already have a handful of committed people so please post HERE if seriously interested and let's make this happen.
    Art, does Greg have electrical power at the rails? How would that work if we were to use electric reels.

Juan

Get a Daiwa with a battery pac

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hexter View Post
    Get a Daiwa with a battery pac
    Jack, that is what I was thinking. Just ' know how much power they have. Tanacom Bull?

Juan

Quote Originally Posted by capt louie View Post

This was taken on Pully ridge. Huge sinkhole that I'm still trying to get the numbers for. The laptop that had the number got stolen.
    That was 460' I believe.
    Pulley Ridge is located in the southern Gulf of Mexico, 100 miles west of Key West and is the deepest light-dependant coral reef in the United States. Pulley Ridge was not discovered until 1999 due to it's depth of 180 to 275 feet and it's remoteness in the center of the southern part of the Gulf of Mexico. The ridge is believed to be a submerged island from millions of years ago.

Coral grows through the process of photosynthesis and that is the reason most coral reefs are shallow. Pulley Ridge is unusual because the sun barely reaches it's great depths; it is like dusk during the sunniest part of any day. And what is most significant is that the corals are healthier than any shallow coral reef with no evidence of bleaching or ill health.

Fishing Pulley Ridge
    This area is protected by the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council which prohibits anchoring in this large area. 60 species of fishes have been identified that inhabit Pulley Ridge. You are allowed to fish by drifting or hook and line fishing. Here is the exact text from the Gulf Council:

Pulley Ridge HAPC - Fishing with a bottom longline, bottom trawl, buoy gear, pot, or trap and bottom anchoring by fishing vessels are prohibited year-round.

You can catch Snowy Grouper, Speckle Hind Grouper (picture to the right), huge Red Grouper, Scamp, Golden Tile, AJ's, Hog Snappers to say a few of the healthy fish that inhabit this deep ridge. Just to the west of Pully Ridge is a sink hole with large rock walls and undercuts that holds large schools of Greater Amberjack, Red Porgy, Blueline Tilefish, Snowy Grouper, Speckled Hind, Warsaw and Yellowedge Snapper. If you venture even further to the west of the ridge near the shelf edge in waters over 500 feet you can fish for Queen Snappers which are not caught very often in the Gulf of Mexico. View the Fishes of Pulley Ridge on GMFMC's website and see some exotics that inhabit this remote site.

Spent my day off thinking, asking and learning.

The sinkhole you speak of is no secret to the commercial sector. I did however get enough info to take out the charts and do some prep.

Tackle questions were answered and a assortment of gear is coming.

I have 10 days off from May 21 till 31. Going to assemble a crew and take a ride. The basic plan is too drive around and learn. Make some drops to see what lives where. If we do run into something viable then I will leave it be.

After this trip, if I think this is something that could work I will set up a trip.

With the way my schedule is it will have to be after July 1.

Greg

so how long would a trip like this last and lets talk price 1000 a person?

OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank View Post
    so how long would a trip like this last and lets talk price 1000 a person?
    72-96 hours. My guess is around $600, and it is just a guess.

Until I can do some research anything I type would just be conjecture.

If your talking about the research trip I will be doing I WILL NOT BE TAKING CUSTOMERS. I am going to look and learn. I can see myself making a quick drop or two catching a few fish and getting a feel for the conditions, nothing more. I know the techniques, I need to learn the area. This is a hard thing to do, I don't need the pressure of having customers on board. I can see myself being out for 5 days on this trip. It is big ocean out there.

Greg

Man this is sounding good.

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast