BEYOND THE DRY TORTUGAS BANKS - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaphappy View Post
    Jake I think the trips your referring to are the Pulley Ridge trips. I have heard Yuri mention it before. If I recall correctly he said a lot of the area is protected from anchoring. Would be ideal for jigging trip.
    That's fine, no need to anchor up... Hector (mr. World record Margate) and I have been fishing and catching Muttons off Dade and Broward for well over a decade, on the drift - without any problems. I got at least half dozen Black grouper from 35 to 43 lbs. that I've caught on the Mucho K off Miami beach all on the drift. Guys I'm dreaming about a trip where the first drop is 12 hours from key west and We don't even see the fort or the light house.
    I know there's gotta be a way to do this !

We went out that way on a 3 day last year.

Not much bottom close together, hence the reason the place is nicknamed "The Desert" once you get west of Riley's and Tortugas Bank. We all know what the wrecks hold at that way.

Once you get to 100 fathoms the deep dropping is great. However the Franklin Loop Current can be a issue. I have a pile of numbers out that way but I figure it would take me a week to get a feel for it. The good thing is the deep drop regs in the GOM are very fair. Much better than the SA.

Since we are here in the summer now maybe I will take a ride and get some answers. It certainly does not scarce me. After fishing on Georges Bank in 3 knots of tide I think I could figure something out. The think that spooks me is the conditions. It is a long ride back to the "reef" if we can't hold bottom out that way.

It would have to be a very limited group with 18-20 people only. It would also be expensive as fuel consumption is going to be high.

If we get enough interest I would consider it.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Snaphappy View Post
    I have heard Yuri mention it before.
    Capt Yuri does offer a 4th day, based on good weather and most fishing is 200+ feet plus if I recall correctly.

http://www.tortugasfishing.com/home.html

WOW - Unbreakable appreciation to Yankee Capts patrons

Greg jumped right in, no hesitation, after all these years fishing, no need to make this leap and take this risk, but that's what it takes,to the bone fisherman, and customer loyalty. That's what separates the non-risk takers from the men who leave a mark.
    Guys lets jump right in, all the dots lined up, the MAN in the wheel house said "let's do it" , we got the right crew a new and very eager captain Derrick.
    This is for the men and women that want to fish hard and break the barrier, Extreme Fishing on the Yankee Capts pioneering a new frontier. Lets take it to the next level.

Bobby, Bricks, Nick Perrone & clan, Jake, Littigator and the Quarashi tribe, Dudley,
    old man Glenn !!! Capt. Bill, Globaltracker, Cameron, and of course hard core Thelma and Louise !

If interested, no flakes and no weak hearted, please email greg@yankeecapts.com

I did a trip to pulley's ridge with Yuri a few years back, in fact David was on that trip.

We fished out there for a couple of days, the fishing was very good however, we mostly caught smaller muttons and I got a few decent red groupers. The deep dropping was great and we got snowies up to about 50lbs and and a few nice goldens, just not record breaking like the snowies.

I think the area has potential, however, the problem lies with what greg mentioned and it is getting familiar with the area. As Yuri put it one day for me was like him relearning the dry tortugas area as this area is roughly just as big.

With a good sense of exploration and without a mental need to fill every box on the boat a trip like this can be very rewarding when you know you are fishing water that barely anyone has ever fished before. And if you do great, great - if you don't enjoy the trip for what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoogan View Post
    Greg jumped right in, no hesitation, after all these years fishing, no need to make this leap and take this risk, but that's what it takes,to the bone fisherman, and customer loyalty. That's what separates the non-risk takers from the men who leave a mark.
    Guys lets jump right in, all the dots lined up, the MAN in the wheel house said "let's do it" , we got the right crew a new and very eager captain Derrick.
    This is for the men and women that want to fish hard and break the barrier, Extreme Fishing on the Yankee Capts pioneering a new frontier. Lets take it to the next level.

Bobby, Bricks, Nick Perrone & clan, Jake, Littigator and the Quarashi tribe, Dudley,
    old man Glenn !!! Capt. Bill, Globaltracker, Cameron, and of course hard core Thelma and Louise !

I'm in!

Cape Coral Fla, was Long Island for 52 years
    I might be interested, just need someone to take the reins and get all the details, days out, how deep, on or off a moon or new moon etc.

Also what gear might be needed, might have to start hunting for something for this type trip.

Question...on these deep drops would live bait help?
    Capt Bill

I would be interested in a multi-day trip to target wahoo, tuna and dolphin/dorado. Would that be in the cards for the trip you are talking about? BTW I grew up in SD fishing and working on the Point Loma based sport fishers.

This was taken on Pully ridge. Huge sinkhole that I'm still trying to get the numbers for. The laptop that had the number got stolen.

Caught these there

That was 460' I believe.
    "You'll get your weather"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoogan View Post

You could count me in as a sure thing IF....Greg could some how make 2 of the 3-5 days fall on the weekend. I can always stack a couple days on either side of a weekend but it's tough for me to commit to mid week charters because I can rarely take a Monday thru Friday off.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast