BEYOND THE DRY TORTUGAS BANKS
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 52 123456789101151 ... LastLast

BEYOND THE DRY TORTUGAS BANKS

I frequently wish I was as fortunate as the folks in Cali... "well, I'm going on a 10 day in May" or "this will be my first 15 dayer"
    Frankly, my wife would kill me if I flew to the Left Side to go on a long range out of SD when we have not been on a vacation together for years!
    So... I've been wondering for several years now, what about a 4-6 day vogage beyond the Dry Tortugas Banks?
    The possiblities of Giant Red Snapper, monster Warsaw, truck size Black grouper, a school of Wahoo, 100 pound YFT and of course 36-inch plus Muttoniums !!!
    I'm talking about a real trip BEYOND DT's , another 6 hour boat ride past Loggerhead, somewhere between Dry Tortugas and Campeche's Bank !
    Anybody's done it?
    What's out there?
    Is it fishable? meaning: abundant system of reefs and legdes in 300' or under ?
    Are we allowed to fish international waters or end up in the Eastern edged of Mexican waters?
    I have no doubt that there's plenty of interest from the community of Dry Tortugas "junkies" willing to make the trip ($$$$) say a 5-6 day long range bus ride!
    I can only wish, has anybody been there?

Cape Coral Fla, was Long Island for 52 years
    You might look at the IRON MAN trips on the Y/C schedule...they are 4 days!
    Capt Bill

I wonder if there are any boats like the SD fleet that operate in the Gulf?? I've been on the Royal Polaris twice,,, I tell my wife it was Cadillac fishing. Breakfast at 5, pastries at 10, lunch at noon, dinner at 7. Hot shower every night and two people to a room. Oh yea,,, I was told the baitwell was 5,000 gallons. Not sure about that but we fished nothing but live baits the whole time. No real limits on fish that I was aware of either,, and there we a lot of fish caught. I don't know how that would work for Snapper and Grouper in the Gulf.

I've done Andy Griffith, The Fishfinder, Yankeee Fleet and the big cat the Winner out of marathon years ago to the Tourtgas. No disrespect to them but I'm not sure I'd want to be on one of those boat for 6 days. If someone had a boat like the Roal Polaris,,, I'd go.

Me and my Father.... happy times

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Fred

I did some thing like that but we flew into Mexico rather then a 2 day steam there and 2 day steam back to S/D,,,saw the rooster and few others out there on the Yellow Fin Tuna.

Our trip was 9 days on the boat and fished out 26 foot Panga's with tiller steering, 2 men to a boat plus the guide... out of Magdalena Bay

I came home a put my gear in a corner and didn't look at it for 3 weeks...trip of a life time!
    Capt Bill

Art,

Have you checked with Greg to see if he would be willing to put something like that together?

Jaun

Good thread Art. Doesn't Yuri offer a four day trip west of the Fort. I think I recall a report that David (The Great Wall) did a few years ago. Maybe David or Yuri will see this and chime in.

This is a great thread. I'd definitely be interested if somekind of trip like this exists. Granted I'd need IV caffeine after the 3rd day and a huge cooler to hold all the fish cause last YC trip the old 125 was stuffed to the max!

As far as fishability I know a buddy of mine goes out of Tarpon Springs and steams southwest to do deep dropping and hes caught queens up to about 25lb and 20lb yellow eyes in about 1000. My guess is jurassic park!!

1000 feet ....sounds like electric reels to me !
    Capt Bill

Jake I think the trips your referring to are the Pulley Ridge trips. I have heard Yuri mention it before. If I recall correctly he said a lot of the area is protected from anchoring. Would be ideal for jigging trip.

Did several LR trips out of Sandiego. Royal Polaris, Red Rooster III, Ocean Oddyssey... Royal Polaris was Hands down nicest boat but the other 3 weren't to damn shabby either... I miss those type of trips would love if something similar was to be had out here. The laws are totally different though... Out there you fished for the Boats Limit Not your Own limit...... If some guy spends week puking in his bunk during a red hot YFT bite you could catch his allocation and keep them.... Those trips were a blast

Page 1 of 52 123456789101151 ... LastLast