FWC to ban jig fishing in BGP
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 207 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

FWC to ban jig fishing in BGP?

Yesterday, I know the FWC approved, unanimously, to move bonefish and tarpon to catch-and-release only (details below)....

Today, I heard a rumor that the FWC banned the jig from BGP.

Has anyone heard anything officially?

Here's the announcement on yesterday's meetings:

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

For immediate release: April 17, 2013

Proposal would make tarpon, bonefish catch-and-release only

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), at its April 17 meeting near Tallahassee, moved forward unanimously with a proposal to make tarpon and bonefish catch-and-release-only fisheries.

The tarpon and bonefish catch-and-release-only proposal includes the following potential changes for management in state and federal waters off Florida:

o Eliminating all harvest of tarpon with the exception of the harvest or possession of a single tarpon when in pursuit of an IGFA record and in conjunction with a tarpon tag.
    o Keeping the tarpon tag price at $50 per tag but limiting them to one tag per person, per year.
    o Modifying the tarpon tag program, including reporting requirements and shifting the start and end date for when the tarpon tag is valid.
    o Discontinuing the bonefish tournament exemption permit that allows tournament anglers to temporarily possess bonefish for transport to a tournament scale.

The proposal will be brought back before the Commission for a final public hearing at its June meeting in Lakeland.

In a separate discussion, the Commission also reviewed how gear is being used for the tarpon fishery in Boca Grande Pass. The Commission directed staff to re-examine the definition of snagging and redefine what gear can be used in the Pass. This issue will likely be brought before the Commission at the June meeting as a draft proposal.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Here is a link to the presentation made to the FWC:

http://www.myfwc.com/media/2520558/4...esentation.pdf

And here's the overall agenda for the meeting:

http://www.myfwc.com/about/commissio...ril/17/agenda/

On a related note, the above provisions would effectively end the PTTS weigh-ins, as the only way a tarpon tag could be used would be in pursuit of an IGFA record.
    Last edited by Tarponator; 04-18-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Last edited by stpetebaitman; 04-18-2013 at 05:01 PM.

You will still be able to fish with jigs, just not jigs that lead with the hook. Nothing will change this tarpon season.

If the rule concerning the use of a tag for only IGFA record purposes goes through, quite a bit will change, at least as far as the PTTS is concerned.

That said, what's the difference between a "jig" and a jig "that leads with the hook"? What have you heard?

Not to support the PTTS but the rules, at least those discussed in the meeting in St. Pete, will allow boat side length and girth measurement. Since the PTTS has already switched to that to determine their "winner", it will have no effect on the PTTS. Again, I have no issue with all tournaments going away altogether. I don't support them, could care a less about them. But I don't believe this rule change will have any effect on the PTTS at all. The sponsor assault will do more damage I would think. If there are tournaments, most releases should win, period, the fact that you were lucky enough to get the biggest fish is just that, luck.

They also didn't really define what pursuing a record meant or how that would be determined. I could catch a tarpon and put a tag in it and say I want to pursue a record even though I know it is not even close to a record fish. So lot of loopholes in that. The one tag thing per year is interesting. Don't really understand that one other than the fact that this is clearly meant to stop the PTTS and the captains that are participating in that.

Again, I will state, I have no issue with this rule change, it does not affect me one iota. The problem I have is that they have once again pushed through rules with absolutely zero merit or proof of need. They have also pushed through rules for an area of water 1 mile by one mile. For the entire STATE. Someone with some deep pockets or great oral skills has gotten their input to the upper echelon of the FWC. Again, just really scary to me. Seriously, what is next? If they can put this bunch of BS together from February to April and slam it down our throats, there is no end to what they could do in limiting us access to our fisheries. This is not purely a tarpon issue. They have just shown that they will willingly limit your ability to catch fish on a whim with no evidence of any kind that it is truly needed to protect the species.

Sorry, just scary to me and we opened the door for this and allowed it to happen.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by doubledup View Post
    You will still be able to fish with jigs, just not jigs that lead with the hook. Nothing will change this tarpon season.
    So this means we’ll see more Bait Busters, Swimming Mullets and 6-8” shad tails?

Many will agree, your "Hook Up" ratio will substantially decrease if Jiggers were forced to fish with "Traditional" style jigs, led by the head. In less than one season, your "Non-Believers" will be forced to fish using different methods, after realizing Traditional Style Jigs just don’t work in the Pass as well (Anywhere near) as Bait.

During the transition, we’ll see an initial increase Beach/Harbor/Sound Traffic. Eventually, that should taper off. There will be more order in the Pass. Many out of town Recs and Guides will choose to fish the Beaches, Passes and Bays in their own home towns, after realizing they can do as well fishing their own back yard, without the expense of travel & lodging, time away from family, etc. Finally, there will be a thinning of the crowds (Thank God). The Tarpon will less molested and will be much happier in the mornings. Naturally, we’ll also see less afternoon Traffic and finally, those that can only fish Sat & Sun, will also have a chance to share our fishery, without the presence of the PTTS Clan, who have claimed ownerships to BG Pass every weekend.

This results in nothing but good things for the Tarpon and our fishery. Hopefully this Law sticks and MOST IMPORTANTLY, FWC Bans the use of any Jig, which is not led by a weight.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBly View Post
    The sponsor assault will do more damage I would think
    Without sponsors, this or any tournament does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBly View Post
    Again, I will state, I have no issue with this rule change, it does not affect me one iota. The problem I have is that they have once again pushed through rules with absolutely zero merit or proof of need. They have also pushed through rules for an area of water 1 mile by one mile. For the entire STATE. Someone with some deep pockets or great oral skills has gotten their input to the upper echelon of the FWC. Again, just really scary to me. Seriously, what is next? If they can put this bunch of BS together from February to April and slam it down our throats, there is no end to what they could do in limiting us access to our fisheries. This is not purely a tarpon issue. They have just shown that they will willingly limit your ability to catch fish on a whim with no evidence of any kind that it is truly needed to protect the species
    I assume you are referring to C&R Only? I agree with you. Perhaps the research is light, and this move sparked by influential oppositions with a serious agenda. Without banning the use of Jigs, it almost seems like nothing more than a tease/insult to those that really want change in BGP. Perhaps this step is intended as a preface of what’s to follow. Everyone who truly cares about the BGP Tarpon and Local Fishery knows, a major change is due. Either way, the proposal helps the Tarpon.

Now it’s time to focus on eliminating the Jig, which is the main problem as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by capeangler View Post
    So this means we’ll see more Bait Busters, Swimming Mullets and 6-8” shad tails?

Many will agree, your "Hook Up" ratio will substantially decrease if Jiggers were forced to fish with "Traditional" style jigs, led by the head. In less than one season, your "Non-Believers" will be forced to fish using different methods, after realizing Traditional Style Jigs just don’t work in the Pass as well (Anywhere near) as Bait.

During the transition, we’ll see an initial increase Beach/Harbor/Sound Traffic. Eventually, that should taper off. There will be more order in the Pass. Many out of town Recs and Guides will choose to fish the Beaches, Passes and Bays in their own home towns, after realizing they can do as well fishing their own back yard, without the expense of travel & lodging, time away from family, etc. Finally, there will be a thinning of the crowds (Thank God). The Tarpon will less molested and will be much happier in the mornings. Naturally, we’ll also see less afternoon Traffic and finally, those that can only fish Sat & Sun, will also have a chance to share our fishery, without the presence of the PTTS Clan, who have claimed ownerships to BG Pass every weekend.

This results in nothing but good things for the Tarpon and our fishery. Hopefully this Law sticks and MOST IMPORTANTLY, FWC Bans the use of any Jig, which is not led by a weight.

Without sponsors, this or any tournament does not exist.

I assume you are referring to C&R Only? I agree with you. Perhaps the research is light, and this move sparked by influential oppositions with a serious agenda. Without banning the use of Jigs, it almost seems like nothing more than a tease/insult to those that really want change in BGP. Perhaps this step is intended as a preface of what’s to follow. Everyone who truly cares about the BGP Tarpon and Local Fishery knows, a major change is due. Either way, the proposal helps the Tarpon.

Now it’s time to focus on eliminating the Jig, which is the main problem as I see it.
    I agree with everything you said for the most part. This sounds like it will happen and happen quick. I do not see how anyone can defend the jig, there are years of pictures and videos of tarpon snagged in the throat, eyeball, belly and face. The commission knows the 2004 study has many holes in it. I would say that there are maybe 30 hard core jig guys around, they are way out numbered by their opposition which includes ex jig fisherman. I have seen this in the works for some time while on the water. Tarpon were acting different every year when the jig fleet fished them. The diffrence with this go around is that jig fisherman are in the minority.

Do you really think that banning the jig will significantly affect the fishing pressure on the tarpon in BGP? If so, why?

Because while I want to believe what you've predicted, I simply don't. It seems to me all that will happen is a change in the methods of the fishermen, both recreational and professional, fishing for them. Most all of the guides know how to (and will continue to) fish with live bait and I would expect them to leverage fishing in "the tarpon capital of the world" and using their existing customer bases to continue to do so. And the BGFGA will be out there first thing again too. Let's also not forget it's much easier to just drive to the pass first thing than actually have to go hunt for tarpon. I just don't see it making that much difference, personally, but admittedly neither of us have a crystal ball. But I strongly suspect that people will still short drift, the BGFGA will continue to ignore their own rules, and there will still be 50 or more boats there every morning, this time with different baits on the end of their line and a bit more space between boats.

Getting past that... What will be very interesting, to me, will be to watch how the tarpon behave going forward. Will they continue to leave the pass in the mornings, the behavior many have attributed to the pressure the jiggers put on them, or will they go back to their old habits?

I'll bet the tarpon continue to scatter and the fishery will continue to deteriorate due to the overall fishing pressure. I hope I'm wrong, but I've watched it happen at the bridges. I've watched it happen to Egmont, where the fish have many more options and were never jigged. To be candid, I'm surprised it's taken this long for the change in behavior in BGP. Tarpon may be hundreds of millions of years old, but they are hardly stupid, and they don't like running boats or fishing pressure, and I don't see this latest round of regulations making much difference at all in these underlying stresses. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

But if I'm not wrong, and the pressure continues to change their behavior, I do wonder where the finger will get pointed next.

Take care...Mike
    Last edited by Tarponator; 04-18-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarponator View Post
    Do you really think that banning the jig will significantly affect the fishing pressure on the tarpon in BGP? If so, why?

Because while I want to believe what you've predicted, I simply don't. It seems to me all that will happen is a change in the methods of the fishermen, both recreational and professional, fishing for them. Most all of the guides know how to (and will continue to) fish with live bait and I would expect them to leverage fishing in "the tarpon capital of the world" and using their existing customer bases and to continue to do so. Let's also not forget it's much easier to just drive to the pass first thing than actually have to go hunt for tarpon. I just don't see it making that much difference, personally, but admittedly neither of us have a crystal ball. But people will still short drift, the BGFGA will continue to ignore their own rules, and there will still be 50 or more boats there every morning, this time with different baits on the end of their line and a bit more space between boats.

Getting past that... What will be very interesting, to me, will be to watch how the tarpon behave going forward. Will they continue to leave the pass in the mornings, the behavior many have attributed to the pressure the jiggers put on them, or will they go back to their old habits?

I'll bet the tarpon continue to scatter and the fishery will continue to deteriorate due to the overall fishing pressure. I hope I'm wrong.

Take care...Mike
    Mike, I will give you my honest opinion:

Yes I do. What I have seen over the last 7 years specifically is that the number of jig boats has been on the increase even while every year there are a few boats that stop jig fishing. Jig fishing in BGP is a very specific type of fishing, it will not work anywhere else in the immediate area other than the pass. That is a fact. There are many guides and rec anglers alike that live and die by the jig, they will jig fish all day even with very little fish in the pass. This leads me to belive that these guys can't catch tarpon any other way. I'm not saying they can't or wont learn how to become successful without the jig but live bait fishing for tarpon in the pass takes some time to learn. On the other hand anytime you can eliminate 30 40 or 50 outboards literally chasing tarpon around and out of the pass then the fishery will benefit. These guys will learn fast that you can not chase down tarpon schools with live bait and do well. So assuming every single boat that fishes the pass with jigs this year comes back next year and fishes live bait like it is supposed to be fished from a skiff i.e. trolling motors, waiting for the fish to come to you, then, Yes, we will all benefit including the fishery the most.

All we can do is give this fishery a chance, I do not think BGP is overfished, I feel it is fished as of now in the worst possible way. take the snagging debate out of this, if these guys that jig fish could show some respect to the fishery and other fisherman then I see no problem with the jig. But when 99.9% of the jig fleet thinks it is a good idea to jig fish east of the hill in 20 feet of water and on the shoals in 12 feet of water, and hard reverse on every single school of tarpon in the pass while jig fishing then the jig will be outlawed in my opinion. There is something wrong with BGP when nearly all the tarpon dump out of the pass when the jig fleet shows up. In my opinion they brought this onto their selves.

Again, if these jig fisherman want to stay successful at tarpon fishing they will have to adapt to methods already in place around the world when it comes to tarpon fishing. Use stealth, don't run over the tarpon with your outboard, and make good cast. If they continue to fish with live bait they way the do with jigs they will go out of business if they are a guide, and the rec guys will try to fish somewhere else. You can't stay in the guide business if you can't catch fish, period.

I would rather fish around the live baiters all day, there really is not that many of them fishing daily anymore anyways. In order for them to catch fish they need to drift their boats through the tarpon, not stop on top of every single pod the see pop up.

So, yes, in my opinion this is a fantastic move for BGP. I would like to hear from the "old" time jiggers and hear their opinions. I would bet that they are for it as well because at the rate we are going something has to change. When this jig issue last came up I was 100% for the jig, I thought no way does the jig snag fish. But after doing it for the next 7 years on a daily basis I can honestly say 90% of the tarpon I caught on jigs were snagged. We hooked a lot more back then because you could actually jig fish all the way up into the first 2 hours of the hill tide because the tarpon never left the pass by the thousands. Now from what I see most jiggers can jig fish after 8am consistently.

Banned
    I didn't hope. I didn't pray. I promised I would get this done through legislation. I'm not done. I'm not playing. Who influenced the board? Me. Go look up the old threads.

Welcome to hell PTTS.

Page 1 of 207 123456789101151101 ... LastLast