Hot trout bite (North Biscayne 4/17/13)

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hot trout bite (North Biscayne 4/17/13)

I decided to try my luck on the grass flats just south of 195 this morning. Got on the water just as the sun was coming up with 3 doz shrimp. Tried some topwater baits to start things off but only one small trout wanted to play. After 15 minutes I switched to the go-to popping cork and it was non stop action from then on. I literally blew through all 3 doz shrimp in about an hour. The majority of the trout were 16-18", only had two little runt trout all day. Didn't get any needlefish or cuda's all day, and I was really surprised by that! The grovers were in full force too, caught 8 or 9 in the 6-10" range. After I used all the shrimp and only got 2 that were just about 20", I sabiki'd up some pinfish. Even caught a couple trout on the sabiki too. Using the palm size pinfish I caught with the sabiki I managed to get 3 trout over 20", and lost one that was over 25" (she shook the hook at the yak...) The ones in the pics are 24" and 22". Big live pinfish are the way to go for big trout. Catch em up!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trout.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	81244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trout2.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	81245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trout3.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	81246
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GOPR0688.jpg  

Nice! those big boys love the large pinners. When i went a few weeks ago they were destroying them. Do you use shrimp regularly? Thats my goto bait in mingo but when i try that in NBB the pinners tear up the shrimp as soon as they hit the water usually
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends

Nice trout!
    Hobie Revo-11 a.k.a. Tub2.0

Quote Originally Posted by drichard1986 View Post
    Nice! those big boys love the large pinners. When i went a few weeks ago they were destroying them. Do you use shrimp regularly? Thats my goto bait in mingo but when i try that in NBB the pinners tear up the shrimp as soon as they hit the water usually
    I prefer using pinfish for trout. Didn't have time yesterday to net pinfish, so I bought some shrimp. With shrimp you'll get a lot of by-catch nuisance fish, so I try to avoid using it when I can. I read/heard that once trout grow to a certain size (maybe 20+") fish make up the majority of their diet. If you want a gator trout, use a gator pinfish. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon10/31 View Post
    I prefer using pinfish for trout. Didn't have time yesterday to net pinfish, so I bought some shrimp. With shrimp you'll get a lot of by-catch nuisance fish, so I try to avoid using it when I can. I read/heard that once trout grow to a certain size (maybe 20+") fish make up the majority of their diet. If you want a gator trout, use a gator pinfish. lol
    I've never tried fishing for trout with a pinfish. What size hook and where do you hook the pinfish, through the nose or near the dorsal fin?
    Hobie Revo-11 a.k.a. Tub2.0

Nice size trout for the north bay. great report.

nice, gonna have to head to the bay this weekend

BEST JIGS AROUND!!!
    SHAKE AND BAKE!!!

Nice catch'n. that 2nd picture looks like a nice healthy trout.

Tight Lines..

How did you rig the pinfish?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast