4/15 90' out of Long Boat Pass

Florida Sportsman

4/15 90' out of Long Boat Pass

We headed out of Longboat Pass at first light, with a few dozen shrimp and lots of old bait to cut up. The pinfish catching was slow, due to large blue runners tangling and breaking off sabikis. Wind and tide opposition made for slow going without getting soaked in small boat.
    As we got out deeper the sun broke through the clouds and seas laid down for a nice day. We drifted for Red Grouper first, quickly putting keepers in the box around 90í. We saw some structure during drift and threw out marker. On second try we were on the spot. Given the last few trips RG success came quickly, we brought different setups and shrimp to try to diversify the catch. I brought a 4000 reel with 20# mono/ 20í 20# fluro sliding 3oz to 3/O hook, this caught all the mangos. Flat line was hit a few minutes after it was put out Ö always seems like king hits when both people are hooked on this boat, leading to chaos. Soon after the Bar Jacks and sharks moved in, so we didnít chum or put flat line out anymore. The Bar Jacks were relentless I caught them on artificial baits, then even bare hooks Ö they are fun but a waste of bait and energy when targeting other species. We caught quite a few barely short scamps, but couldnít get the right one. The ride in was much nicer.

Too many nice gags, were caught and released, to not stop and take a picture with one caught on snapper rod.

Many people I know donít have interest in kingfish when filleted, but once it is smoked and dip made they seem to have an unlimited appetite for it.

Very nice!
    The two best times to fish is when itís raininí and when it ainít. ĖPatrick F. McManus

Kings are also great if you cut the top loin off the fellet, cut it into scallop size segments , wrap in bacon, dress with
    italian dressing and then grill. Outstanding.

I bet that Gag on a Snapper rod was a hoot! Nice catching man...
    Thanks,
    LastMango

Nice job on the fish.

Soem nice RG's, since you are smoking have you ever smoked a bar jack? personally I prefer smoked AJ to just about anyother fish king included

I've eaten and enjoyed bar jack but never smoked it.

just curious...what type of brine and wood do you guys use for smoking them?

When you were drifting for RG, what size lead were you using? Do you care about staying perfectly vertical or do you drag the bait along the bottom? Thanks, great catch.

I love the idea of drifting there is so much good bottom to cover but everyone on my boat gets up tight trying to keep the bait straight up and down.