ROUTE BY WATER FROM KEY LARGO TO FLAMINGO ??

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ROUTE BY WATER FROM KEY LARGO TO FLAMINGO ??

Any help would be greatly appreciative, I am coming down for a week of fishing in July, staying in Largo but would like to make a run to do some back country fishing. Last year I towed the boat over to Flamingo but that's a heck of a drive up there and back down into the park. I would like to make the run across Fl Bay so I was wondering about the best route, thank for the help !!

What's the boat making the run?

Mako 1901 150 opti max, thanks

Get a Waterproof Chart for the Upper Keys. It has several marked routes http://www.waterproofcharts.com/uppe...rt-details.htm

This will show you most of the channels and cuts leading up there.... Have fun

http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisi...da_bay_map.pdf
    Gause Built 26

Go at high tide.
    :-)

its a very long boat ride,ur gonna need lots of gas,some of the channels dont have markers & they get reallly shallow at low tide,im talking 2 to 3 ft.

its 30 miles or so from Snake Creek to Flamingo ..... We usually run up all the way to the middle grounds ,,, then around nine mile bank and fish back down around sandy, oxfoot, and sprigger etc ---- and burn 32 gallons ... I get 2.8 mpg
    Gause Built 26

Thanks for all the great input guys, I love back country fishing in ENP.

I live in Key Largo and the route I take is: key largo to boggies - boggies to eagle key pass - eagle key pass to crocodile dragover - crocodile dragover to dump keys - dump keys to tin can channel - tin can takes you right out front of flamingo. Crocodile dragover has two parts, the first part (near black betsy keys) and beginning of the second part (near samphire keys) can get shallow at low tide, you want to make sure you stay on plane through it. Sometimes somebody will screw you up by idling in it so just wait for them to clear. The channel is narrow and passing a boat going the opposite direction isnt always feasible. There are some high spots between the dragover and dump keys also, after exiting the dragover run a mile or so toward end key before turning to the right towards dump. there is a shallow area that runs south from crocodile point that gets shallow.
    Last edited by 2fastlx; 04-16-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast