Huge mako shark caught from Florida beach - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    And had it whooped in 45!.........

Great catch.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.

Wow.....

Quote Originally Posted by springnuts View Post
    I have noticed in the past 15 or 20 years these normally offshore fish come inshore during the cobia migration up here in NW FL.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/natur...florida-beach/
    We also now have resident tarpon, and this spring folks have been catching freakin' permit in the pass. No, not pompano, permit. When I was growing up I don't ever recall seeing ballyhoo here (Panama City), now they're near shore and even in the bay as early as April 1. Mutton snapper... I never heard of that within 35 miles of the pass here... last year quite a few were caught.

I do know that big ol' makos show up this time of year inshore, but I can't say when that started to happen, as I have not personally witnessed an increase or decrease.

I have personally seen the other critters show up in the past same time frame. The mako thing could simply be advent of internet. I spend a lot of time on the water and I've only ever seen one... granted it was inshore (100' of water to the W) and it was small. Point being folks love a big shark picture / sighting, so maybe they have always been here in varying strength of numbers but it just wasn't publicized as much. Or... they could be like the tarpon ./ ballyhoo / mutton stuff that I've seen go from rare or non-existent to occasional or common. I'd put sailfish in the same category as the mako deal. Seems like somebody these days is always catching one near the beach off a pier or kayak. That's recent to me, but is it simply because 15 years ago we didn't hear about it. I don't know.

EDIT: I just clicked on the link in the original post. Shark fishermen typically crack me up because they fish with about 4 times the amount of gear that they need. This guy still may have been a touch overgunned, but all that tackle came in handy on this particular shark.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

I just cannot imagine how the thought of attaching myself to the rod via a harness would ever cross my mind!!
    Member since 2001 but this damn format makes me look like a newb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guide View Post
    I just cannot imagine how the thought of attaching myself to the rod via a harness would ever cross my mind!!
    Well, when you are fishing with a rod and reel that weigh 10 pounds and the reel is the size of a freakin' pumpkin you don't have much choice. ;-)

On a different note, that's a big fish. I will be the first to admit that I'm not Mako or even a shark expert, but in this picture the fish does not look to be 550 pounds.

The one with the kid opening his mouth does, however, show that the fish is pretty big around.

Still darn cool. I'd have sent my buddy to the ice house and then bled out that sucker right there on the sand. That's just me, though.

Great catch, but seriously, I can't believe that fish was released alive. No way are you going to get your hands that close to the mouth of a live shark that size without getting some serious damage done. I hope the steaks were good.

Of course my estimation of the size could have something to do with the fact that much of the fish is buried in sand and in the shot some of the fish is obstructed by water.

I'm on a gravy train with biscuit wheels!
    Calusa is gonna go Full Calusa when he see these pics.
    "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

This has been an incredible year for land-based makos. I believe this is like the 7 or 8th one caught so far this year; all have been up in the Panhandle. There are a handful of dedicated sharkers that primarily fish the Navarre pier and nearby beaches, and they do well on makos during the winter-time nearshore bonita schools, and the springtime cobia migration. Normally it's a huge deal when they get one, but this year it seems like every time i go on the SFSC forum they've caught another one. And I am positive that mako was released alive.

Here's two they caught in one night on March 6th. (These two weren't so lucky)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0337_zpsecd64279.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	80233
    Last edited by Reelinrudy; 04-10-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GA Fin View Post
    Calusa is gonna go Full Calusa when he see these pics.
    Naw.

I'm good with the handling of this tough predator. It stayed in the water and swam away a little tired - and made the papers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast