HUGE RAY WE SHOT - Page 8

Florida Sportsman

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 128
  1. #71
    Senior Member razorreilly09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Telluride
    Posts
    8,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Bow Charters View Post
    Don't be so certain. Contrary to popular belief, both Gar and Bowfin are good eating fish. Gar meat is the closest fish you will ever eat to gator meat. You chunk it up and fry it up the exact same way. The problem is, too many people think that all these fish are TRASH fish because of what they have been told. Cook up a Gar and a Stingray once in your life before assuming that what everyone says is correct. Plus, certain fish need to be thinned out for the balance in the water. Ask a bass fisherman if he minds us taking Tilapia out of the water. Tilapia invade bass habitat. Most EDUCATED Bass fisherman usually yell to us "kill them all" when they see us on the water because they are aware that Tilapia are in invasive species just like carp!
    I used to bowfish a bit on the Saint Johns river at night. The amount of gar in there is ridiculous and needs to be thinned. Im sure other places are the same. Gar is pretty good grilled as steaks.

  2. #72
    Senior Member ruskinredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Little Gasparilla Island, Chassahowitzka
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by razorreilly09 View Post
    I used to bowfish a bit on the Saint Johns river at night. The amount of gar in there is ridiculous and needs to be thinned. Im sure other places are the same. Gar is pretty good grilled as steaks.
    All true.

  3. #73
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9
    if you and your clients are so busy shooting at everything then how is it that you're not overfishing or "thinning" out the population trip after trip?

  4. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sebastian
    Posts
    9,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish Chuck View Post
    but if it's legal kill away.
    I just can't wrap my head around the "Kill for kills sake"....which is esssentially what you said.

    So "legal" is the magic line of it being the right thing to do?.... If that's the case...would it be OK if I had sex with your 18 year old daughter ( Hypothetical...I have no idea if you have any children...so don't freak)...even though I'm almost old enough to be her grampa?? It would *be legal*...if not morally bankrupt.... See my point?....

    Legal and what is ethical as a sportsman are sometimes separated by a wide margin....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

  5. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sebastian
    Posts
    9,226
    Quote Originally Posted by redfisheater1 View Post
    None of our business until he posts it on the forum to be replied to. If he eats it that's fine but a freezer full of frozen rays that hes ready to give away for shark bait is a telling give away that they do not in fact eat it OR give it away to the homeless. he probably does not have a freezer full of rays. I call BS.
    I would tend to agree......

    This was an attempt at some free advertizement....nothing more.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

  6. #76
    Moderator Capt_Gerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South East Florida
    Posts
    172
    This forum is about sportsman legally hunting, fishing, spearfishing and sharing their experiences. This is not an opportunity to attack others just because you don't believe in their way of hunting. There are those who don't believe in fishing either and I'm 100% sure none of you liked to be judged. Right or wrong bow hunting is legal, nothing new and just another form of placing food on the table and enjoying being outdoors. If you have nothing constructive to add then keep the negative comments to yourselves.
    Changin' Latitudes

  7. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Titusville FL
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by duckmanJR View Post
    I just can't wrap my head around the "Kill for kills sake"....which is esssentially what you said.

    So "legal" is the magic line of it being the right thing to do?.... If that's the case...would it be OK if I had sex with your 18 year old daughter ( Hypothetical...I have no idea if you have any children...so don't freak)...even though I'm almost old enough to be her grampa?? It would *be legal*...if not morally bankrupt.... See my point?....

    Legal and what is ethical as a sportsman are sometimes separated by a wide margin....
    What I am saying is if it's legal to kill it then there is no excuse for bashing the guy like this... do I agree with killing rays? nope, unless you are going to eat them. I, unlike many that are left of this forum have grown tired of the "why did you do that"? and the "you shouldn't do this" crap that goes on here. Those of you on here that point fingers are responsible for the decline in REAL FISHING REPORTS FROM GREAT FISHERMAN!!!!!!!!!! Many of the old school guys have left and are never coming back.

    Here is a good example of how backwards the thinking is around here.. If a guy post a report about a offshore trip that includes 10 dolphin, a wahoo, limit of jacks, limit of snapper, limit of grouper and a limit of cobia he is a hero. However if a guy kills one stingray he is hung out to dry and bashed to the point that it might effect his business " by the way that is slander " even if it is "legal" to harvest a Ray. Now what is more Ethical I ask you? how many fish can you kill before it's not Ethical anymore? Let's agree to disagree and move on and let this man make a living in a bad economy.

  8. #78
    Senior Member GT Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    J-Town
    Posts
    9,451
    Quote Originally Posted by duckmanJR View Post
    I would tend to agree......

    This was an attempt at some free advertizement....nothing more.
    This^



  9. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish Chuck View Post
    Here is a good example of how backwards the thinking is around here.. If a guy post a report about a offshore trip that includes 10 dolphin, a wahoo, limit of jacks, limit of snapper, limit of grouper and a limit of cobia he is a hero. However if a guy kills one stingray he is hung out to dry and bashed to the point that it might effect his business " by the way that is slander " even if it is "legal" to harvest a Ray. Now what is more Ethical I ask you? how many fish can you kill before it's not Ethical anymore? Let's agree to disagree and move on and let this man make a living in a bad economy.
    Very well said!

  10. #80
    Senior Member pupraiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Apollo Beach
    Posts
    10,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish Chuck View Post
    What I am saying is if it's legal to kill it then there is no excuse for bashing the guy like this...
    Just because it is legal doesn't make it right. The rednecks on the forum have trouble understanding this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish Chuck View Post
    Here is a good example of how backwards the thinking is around here.. If a guy post a report about a offshore trip that includes 10 dolphin, a wahoo, limit of jacks, limit of snapper, limit of grouper and a limit of cobia he is a hero.
    Not even close to being the same the same thing...unless the guy threw them all into a dumpster.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •