HUGE RAY WE SHOT - Page 5

Florida Sportsman

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by monoxide View Post
    thats a nice piece of shark bait you got there. what would you recomend for a good entry level bow to bow fish with? i really only need it to stick rays with for shark bait.
    21 foot push pole will do the trick, its gets sporting after a while

Banned
    Can we lay off these folks? We all have differnt views. Thats what makes this crazy thing we call life work. I never ate a ray. So what? Some folks spend alot of jack to climb a stupid mountain. I never would. Comeon. differnt strokes. If ya dont agree, Dont post on this Thread. A beefcow is as big as a barndoor. Shark,Sword,Permit,Grouper,Deer,Moose,ECT.......

Banned
    I have always wanted to try to work with ray meat, how much different than skate can it be? I wanted to put ray on the menu years back when one killed our friend Steve Irwin a sort of eat your revenge. Their are a lot of fish out there that most fisherman steer clear of, and going further I've met alot of sport fisherman that I feel are afraid of eating fish! usally such as I only eat dolphin.

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Can we lay off these folks? We all have differnt views. Thats what makes this crazy thing we call life work. I never ate a ray. So what? Some folks spend alot of jack to climb a stupid mountain. I never would. Comeon. differnt strokes. If ya dont agree, Dont post on this Thread. A beefcow is as big as a barndoor. Shark,Sword,Permit,Grouper,Deer,Moose,ECT.......

You guys are trying a little too hard to rationalize something that's totally senseless. If the ray was killed for meat, or even the hide (stingray leather is some of the best in the world, samurai used it on the handles of their swords, because they wouldn't lose their grip even when the weapon was soaked with blood), I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the beer soaked grins in the photo tell a different story.

Popeye- So "we all have different views" and "that's what makes this crazy thing called life work", and yet "If ya don't agree, don't post on this thread"? Well which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'DirtyCaster View Post
    You guys are trying a little too hard to rationalize something that's totally senseless. If the ray was killed for meat, or even the hide (stingray leather is some of the best in the world, samurai used it on the handles of their swords, because they wouldn't lose their grip even when the weapon was soaked with blood), I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the beer soaked grins in the photo tell a different story.

Popeye- So "we all have different views" and "that's what makes this crazy thing called life work", and yet "If ya don't agree, don't post on this thread"? Well which is it?
    Are people not allowed to enjoy what they are doing? I don't care for certain styles of fishing...for instance I hate trolling. That doesn't mean its senseless! The only thing senseless here was your passing judgement on someone and their hobbies that are COMPLETELY within the law I might add. Just because YOU (god?) Don't agree with something doesn't make it senseless. The man says they eat the rays. That's all you need to know. Infact its honestly none of your business what he does with them. Get it? Got it? Good!

Banned
    This!

Tampa, Little Gasparilla Island, Chassahowitzka
    Nice ray! Count me in on the bowfishing side of this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'DirtyCaster View Post

Beer soaked grins?! You know what they say about ASSuming, right?!? And even if they do have "beer soaked grins" WTF is the prob with it? I will sit on a boat ALL day catching fish, while downing beers... whats the prob?!? Fish, stingray, deer, hog... everyone is entitled to their own opinions on what they want to kill/eat, but NO ONE has the right to pass judgment, or belittle someone else's hobbies as long as they are legal and ethical. CHEERS to that!
    ~Rip Some Lip~

Junior Member Florida Bow Charters's Avatar
    99% of my clients don't even drink because honestly they don't have the time. We are literally shooting at fish or rays every few minutes if not less. When you are soaking baits, you have a lot more time to drink between hits. My customers are too busy shooting all night, but I appreciate the comments because this post was intended only to be an introduction to the forum with a picture of a giant ray that my customers were very proud of and it turned out to be a thread that has revealed some interesting opinions and has shed light on many misconceptions and assumptions that some people have. There's more than one way to skin a cat and I don't think for one second that a guy who spears fish would have gotten the same responses. Were doing the same thing, just above the water rather than in it. Welcome to the new world of the outdoors cause guess what, now people are doing it with slingshots(not kidding) and next year it will be something else. Creative YET LEGAL ideas are sprouting up everyday and thank God they are because thats whats keeping the Outdoor Sports industry alive. This narrow minded mentality would have handed over every gun, bow and YES fishing pole to the ANTIS long ago if it weren't for innovative people keeping all of this alive and well. Take a kid bowfishing and then take a kid fishing. Tell me which one kept his or her busy little mind occupied all day and wanting more. The future of our outdoor sports depends on a variety of things and narrow minded bs isn;t one of them.
    FLORIDA BOWFISHING CHARTERS
    Even The TUFF Won't Survive!
    www.floridabowfishing.com

I'm all for thinning out the rays. Seen some big ones wade fishing but that one is scary big.
    Lastly, nice user photo. Is that the captain?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast