Top Water Reds in St. Augustine

Florida Sportsman

Top Water Reds in St. Augustine

The fishing was a bit slow this morning. We saw few reds really pushing any wakes. After about 20 minutes or so we managed to pick up a red around 17in. A few trout here and there climbed on in the kayak. It was around 7:45 and I hung into a 30in monster red. He slammed the top water and took off the opposite direction I was facing. He snapped the kayak around the started stripping drag. This fish meant business. After he pulled me at least 50 yards down the creek I was able to get him at least turned around. After getting pulled like a dog sled down the creek I managed to land this monster. A while later I was able to pick up another solid red just short of the slot with a gold spoon at dead low tide. We caught a 22in trout later on in the day and then after that trout the fish went quiet. 3 spots, 3ft of water, 30in, 3rd month of the year, 3 reds caught. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	883409_590196937659626_592866079_o.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	76527

Tight work! I just bought that same exact yak and plan on its first voyage tomorrow morning. How do you like yours? Is there any surprises I should know about? Thanks

Nice red. Looks like you have a strong tide up there.

Tides around here are up to 6 ft in some places. Bigger the tides the bigger the fish around here

Quality fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat O View Post
    Tight work! I just bought that same exact yak and plan on its first voyage tomorrow morning. How do you like yours? Is there any surprises I should know about? Thanks
    Amazing yak, I own the same model (Pompano 120) and I go offshore in that baby all the time. I wouldn't try standing though unless you have EXCELLENT balance. I've done it (surfer, skateboarder etc) but not with any nice/expensive gear on board.
    FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>----->

2013 Hobie Outback

www.Extremekayakfishing.com

2013 Florida Sportsman College Football Bowl Pick 'em challenge CHAMPION!