Turkey Dust Bowls

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Turkey Dust Bowls

Do you hunt em? Found a few that are getting regular use, but can't seem to figure out what time they are coming in. Also, do the toms usually hang around these spots too?

Typically they are used more in the afternoon in my experience. They are just another form of sign that tells turkeys use the area. If its just one random dust bowl I wouldn't pay it much mind but if there are quite a few then it may be something to pay attention to. It could pay off to set up in these spots midday and just throw out some soft contented calls. Pay close attention though if a gobbler comes in most of the time it will be silent.

I've seen 'em dust from flydown to dusk. Kinda like a buck rub. Nice to see 'cause you know they're in the area.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do

I was taught when I was about 8 yrs old by a wise old turkey hunter that the birds make those bowels to dust themselves off to help get rid of the mites crawling in their feathers. I've watched several hens over the years use them and never thought that it had anything to do with marking territory. Am I the only one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsredfishin View Post
    I was taught when I was about 8 yrs old by a wise old turkey hunter that the birds make those bowels to dust themselves off to help get rid of the mites crawling in their feathers. I've watched several hens over the years use them and never thought that it had anything to do with marking territory. Am I the only one?

You are correct. A dust bowl isn't a territory marker, however it does indicate there are turkeys using the area.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do

Bream beds!
    Confusion will lead to understanding, if you allow it to…

Don't major in the minor things in life

Quote Originally Posted by flydown View Post
    I've seen 'em dust from flydown to dusk. Kinda like a buck rub. Nice to see 'cause you know they're in the area.
    True. However, they tend to use the dust bowls more during mid-day hours. I key on areas with dust bowls later in the day (usually after 11:00 am). Often times, they're in areas where birds like to hang out and loaf or in high travel corridors. It's a good place to fall back to when the birds have come off the roost and are no longer actively calling and congregating as they do earlier in the morning. I especially like hunting those areas late in the season. Just be prepared to see lots more hens than you do gobblers.
    Final Approach Pro Staff, Duck Junkies Pro Staff, and proud member of the Fab Five.

I had you pissed off at "hello."

Quote Originally Posted by huntmstr View Post
    Just be prepared to see lots more hens than you do gobblers.
    I'm not sure how that would be any different than what I normally encounter while turkey hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by huntmstr View Post
    True. However, they tend to use the dust bowls more during mid-day hours. I key on areas with dust bowls later in the day (usually after 11:00 am).

Yep--I know of one used year after year on public land that a gobbler is going to use pretty much every day, however it might not be by 1pm quittin time...and its a long drive back to the check station after a long walk...

Exactly. It's not a problem on private lands. But it's sort of a last resort on public lands.
    Final Approach Pro Staff, Duck Junkies Pro Staff, and proud member of the Fab Five.

I had you pissed off at "hello."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast