Hubbard's 39 Hour report for 3/8 - 3/9

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hubbard's 39 Hour report for 3/8 - 3/9

Most of you have read Bob's reports, so you know about the great parking, attractions, food, and staff at Hubbard's Marina so I won't bore you with those details. Headed out towards the Elbow to see if we could hit the big fish for a 2nd trip in a row. Started out fishing the Pipeline in about 155' and hit a few mangos here and there. Most were of decent size, 2-4 pounds. A few 5 pounders came over the side as well. Then it happened. One of the regulars, Ritchie hooked up with a fast moving fish that turned out to be a nice Blackfin tuna that ate one of his pigfish being sent down on a knocker rig for Mangos. I was working a 1 oz jighead with live bait and got hammered about 5 feet off the bottom and ended up boating a 25 Lb Blackfin. For theose who know what I fish with for snapper out there, the old Okuma Avenger ABF-30 was up to the task and wasted little time in dispensing with the Blackfin. I baited up and tossed another over and was soon back in a fight with my 2nd tuna. I got him onboard and they started eating everything. When it was all said and down, we had 17 Blackfins on the boat.
    The rest of the trip was a few AJs and some more Mangos throughout. There were a few ARS and Gags caught, but the fishing was slow by my standards. If not for the tuna I would have been upset at the lack of quanity in regards to the Mangos, but not in the quality. Pot winning AJ was 55 Lbs and the pot winning mango was 6.8 Lbs. I was surprised my Mango won it, but I think there were a few that were bigger, but their owners were not in the jackpot. Here are a few of the pics I have of that trip.

EPIC Marine Manufacturing. Makers of affordable, quality Engine Brackets, Swim Platforms, Fuel tanks and other customized marine products. http://www.epic-marine.com/

BFT to the rescue, good size mangs and a 55# AJ no slouch either. Good report.

Will, thanks for taking up the slack and providing a great report & outstanding pictures. I love that money shot, it's a good one. Congratulations on the tuna. That's by far the most I have ever heard of. Great report! Bob

Glad to hear you got on the tuna bite. How good of a job do they do with caring for the fish on that boat? Are they put in an ice bath/slurry or just a bin of ice? I've found out the hard way that how you handle the fish makes a world of difference in the taste and quality of the filets. My only concern on a trip like that would be the potential for the fish to not be handled perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    Glad to hear you got on the tuna bite. How good of a job do they do with caring for the fish on that boat? Are they put in an ice bath/slurry or just a bin of ice? I've found out the hard way that how you handle the fish makes a world of difference in the taste and quality of the filets. My only concern on a trip like that would be the potential for the fish to not be handled perfectly.
    Just for my info how should a BFT, or any fish be cared for? Is bleeding it and putting it on ice not good enough?

Never caught anything that I would consider needing to be taken care of other than bleeding and throwing in the ice box.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!

They were bled and put on ice almost as soon as they were caught. I had a mahi I caught last August and they took real good care of it. The meat was perfect when I got it home. same with the tuna.
    EPIC Marine Manufacturing. Makers of affordable, quality Engine Brackets, Swim Platforms, Fuel tanks and other customized marine products. http://www.epic-marine.com/

With 17 BFT's I'd be concerned about icing them, not the typical task for a bottom fishing outfit. Hubbard's did a good job of keeping the fish pretty packed in ice when I was out there with them though. With tuna you'd probably want to have a kingfish bag or a saltwater ice slush after bleeding them. A good saltwater ice slush can be below freezing and of course no air around the fish.
    -----------------------------------
    Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec

Senior Member Lilcthefishslayer's Avatar
    Very nice!!! That's a great number of BFT for a FF2 trip. Nice work!!!! I haven't been out in a few years with them, but last time I went out they slammed my fish on the deck about 7-10 times. -End results bruised up fish.. Kinda sucks when you pay that kinda money to go out. My worst pet peeve is the dock slamming that they are well known for...... As in slinging the fish down the deck at the docks.

Will, Butch, FWC biologist, said this looks like a juvenile AJ, however, without a closer look he could not be sure.

'slamming' now that a new one! Have not heard that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by simeoncoleman View Post
    Just for my info how should a BFT, or any fish be cared for? Is bleeding it and putting it on ice not good enough?

Never caught anything that I would consider needing to be taken care of other than bleeding and throwing in the ice box.

Simon, I'm by no means an expert, but I am pretty picky about the way I handle the fish. What ericf said is how I do it. I fill the cooler mostly full with ice. I then dump in a bucket of saltwater so that it creates a saltwater slurry. I bleed the bigger fish like grouper, AJs, etc, first. I then submerge them completely underwater in the ice slurry to ensure all of the meat is uniformly chilled.

The risk of just putting them onto the pile of ice is that although one side gets nicely chilled, the filet facing upwards may not have any contact with the ice at all so it may stay warm which could wreck the filet. I have had a couple occasions where we were catching fish like crazy and just chucked the fish onto the ice. We didn't bleed it out or submerge it in the slurry. I got home and the fish tasted like dog food. In contrast, when I bleed the fish out and submerge it into the slurry, it tastes 100% perfect every single time.

Kevin Deiter is a captain out of Sarasota and he wrote a nice article on this topic in Coastal Angler. You can probably find it in their archives online if interested
    Last edited by RMD; 03-14-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast