1st Turkey for my Boy

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

1st Turkey for my Boy

This was my mission for this Spring Turkey Season to get my son on his first bird . This weekend involved lot's of miles of driving . Fri afternoon got to the WMA and roosted a nice Gobbler . But I was limited in time to hunt Sat cause I had to come home for a funeral at noon . I wasn't about to miss opening morning . A buddy of mine met me there and we setup on the gobbler but he pitched down into private land and never looked back . I went home with my tail tucked in , but atleast it got me fired up when he gobbled 3 times . Got back , changed attire , funeral , had lunch with wife and kids and left back to the woods with Christopher . We got to our spot and went in with 45 minutes left of daylight . On the way I heard a gobble bout 200 yards out , then 3 more . I knew where he was going so we circled him . We got 150 yards from where I though he would be and yeap ,there he was . Big longbeard hanging down . It was a long night that's all can say . We setup on him 80 yards from him . I could see him through the branches . Sunwas coming up and hawks and crows calling . First gobble from him sparked 4 other birds in the area . Christopher was getting excited and shaking . I made some soft purrs and clucks , and that bird gobbled at everything I threw at him . The only thing I overlooked was a old trail in between the pines . I kinda knew he would flydown and maybe go down that trail . He flew down and landed 65 yards from the hen decoy . Then right from above us , 2 other birds flew behind us . He strutted and gobbled several times but then we he heard all the gobbling and yelping from the other group he packed it up and headed that way . I told Chris to be patient that there's other birds close by . 20 minutes went by which seemed 2 hours . I could hear something 40 yards behind but I had no view behind . Few minutes went by and I heard a light cluck to my left . I just slightly turn my head and strained my eyes to see 2 Superjakes standing 12-15 feet next to us . I quietly whispered we got turkeys on our left . He couldn't see em so I turned his head and I could see his eyes get big . I said relax we need to get the gun ( my 12 ga Stoeger with light #7 loads , my wife couldn't open the safe to get his 20 ga out ) into position . Turkeys got within 5 feet from decoy on the other side of fence . I positioned the gun and asked if he was on em . He said his head is down , I clucked twice and when he lifted up his head ,I said choot em . Boom and I see the bird run and 10 feet later drops , flapping around . I jumped up and got ready just incase but no second shot needed . I have to say this has been the best hunt in my years in the woods . He had a smile you could see with a facemask on . Big ol Jake , 13.4 lbs , monter 3-1/2" Beard . We got hunt on video , will post later when I edit . Thank you Lord

Last edited by down4dacount; 03-04-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    Member of Big League Duck Hunter
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee

Nice work! Saturday I called what would have been the first one for my lil brother, had him about 25yds but he couldnt get the shot off before he spooked. We could only hunt one day but it was awesome to see my lil brother get so excited. Congrats on your son's first!

Congrats ray way to go man! Super jake or stud it wouldn't have mattered I still remember my first bird with my dad over 7 years ago and it seems like it happened just this past weekend I'm sure he will remember that morning for the rest of his life and congrats to him as well he has accomplished a bigger feat than I have and that's fooling and harvesting the wise and sketchy Osceola turkey

Exceptional !! Good job Dad and congrats to the boy.
    "You'll get your weather"

Congrats on your boys first Turkey...my 9 year old shot his first deer and with a Bow...like you said it makes it one of the best hunts when you share it with them.

Congrats....thats awesome! I cant wait to take my son. He's only 2 so i have another yr or 2. I can actually see a hint of a smile in that last pic...lol!

Way to go! You must have been pretty pumped indeed... I can almost see a smile on your face.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

I can't imagine how proud you are. Awesome bird!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do

Congrats to the boy and you
    Confusion will lead to understanding, if you allow it to…

Don't major in the minor things in life

That's so awesome. Congrats. I only wish I could get my daughter to go out with me. Her mom (my ex) doesn't think its a good idea and would rather her watch tv and play wii all day. I keep putting in permits for her in hopes that one day she'll go with me. Congratulations again ray and to your son. The story made me smile.
    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast