Whoever said to use Trick Worms on a Shaky Head?!

james 14james 14 Posts: 2,836 Moderator
Tried these out the other day and didn't do much above squat. I put one in the tub and noticed the problem...these things simply lay on the bottom with ZERO action unless you really pop it up...which isn't the point of a shaky head. The only reason I posting this is that it seems every time I hear about someone using a shaky head they talk about using a trick worm. What am I missing hear because it simply doesn't look like it works properly.

Replies

• BmillerBmiller Posts: 36 Deckhand
    i disagree. they have great action. Get a football head jig. when rigged on those they stand up perfectly and flow in the water. i give mine a few hops here and there anyway. with some shakes. Gives off great action. Maybe its rigged wrong? they have great videos on youtube that show u how to rig em and what to use. for sure worth checking out.
  • cuckoocuckoo Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Don't know about it working properly but I use a five inch Ouzee on a Gambler giggy head and catch quite a few fish...
    God is great... Beer is good... And people are crazy!
  • CajunRichCajunRich Posts: 262 Officer
    I have had much success with them. What type of bottom are you fishing? Keep in mind that its hot as hell and the bite is slow.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,836 Moderator
    I put them in the bathtub. On the lake I was on a sandy bottom (Crooked Lake). The jig laid on it's side and the worm flat on the bottom. The only way it would stand up is if I really hopped it. The point is to keep it place and have the worm stay up. I thought the jig design was supposed to do this on it's own. I had actually thought about using a football head instead. I am using a jig head labeled for shaky head (stike king) though. I'm gonna look for some floating worms and even try some tube baits with a piece of sponge stuck inside to get it to stand straight up.
    Being a bank banger most of my life this deeper water stuff is new to me. I finally have a depth finder on my boat so I can find where they're hiding in the summer. My concern is not with finding the fish, however. I just didn't like the way the trick worm acted on the jig.
    Try a swimming tail or shaky tail. This gives a little more action than a trick when falling. I usually use darker colors this way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvu_WE0cbL0

If you are using these hooks that is part of the problem http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Strike_King_Tour_Grade_Shakey_Head/descpage-SKTSH.html

I like these http://www.basspro.com/Gambler-Screw-Giggy-Heads/product/10209896/-1755672 and http://www.basspro.com/Luck-E-Strike-Finesse-Football-Jigheads/product/74253/-1281066 (They even show you how to rig them.)

Notice the twist lock and the location of the eye.
    go with a fairly lighter weight on your jig head too. that will allow the worm to stay upward and float better as well. Cajunrich.. great video you put up. i like their shake 2 head jig head. i might have to order me some of those.
    Those Strike Kings are the ones I was using. I'm going to try and find one of those others as well...but I still want a worm that'll float better than the Trick Worm.
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,210 Officer
    I recommend you try the Luck ''E'' Strike Finesse Football Jigheads offered by Bass Pro. I have found them at "Richard's" aka ****'s too.They are excellent. I like the 1/8 oz size. The corkscrew wire allows you to screw the worm on to it, then just pinch the worm down on the hook to make it weedless. This allows for greater hook-up percentage and also allows me to use the same worm to catch multiple bass. I have looked at it sitting in the water and it sits perfectly. I also have tried floating worms with them and they work well. Here is a link and it has very good reviews. http://www.basspro.com/Luck-E-Strike-Finesse-Football-Jigheads/product/74253/-1281066
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
    BMiller, I like those too. Will be worth looking for.
    I didn't see those at D1ck's but I did get some Booyah football head shaky jigs. They stand up much better than the Strike Kings who also had some football heads but the ones I saw were too big. The Booyah had a finer wire hook.
    I've tested several worms and the trick worms are the worst I've tried so far. The best are the 3x plastics made by Strike King. Those things float very well. The way you hook the worm also makes a difference. Hook exposed was worst because it holds the worm on the bottom. Texas rig was better but the worm still stood out at an angle a lot. Best was hooked just through the nose or in way to allow the worm to point straight up when the hook is laying on the bottom in normal fashion. Some worms don't matter how you have them hooked...they'll stand up regardless. Some benefit greatly from being hooked differently.

I can't wait to get back out and try it again. I really need to get to Basspro to look through a better selection of jigs and floating worms. D1ck's didn't have much in either department.

I suppose I could also bend the hook on any jig head to get it to stand upwards more...something else to try.
    maybe ill try some of those 3x your talkin about. never hurts to try something new. are they scented? i know alot of SK's stuff now adays is scented with coffee..
  • ThumpThump Posts: 188 Deckhand
    If you are fishing deep water, try throwing a carolina rig also. It will get the tough fish to bite and also doesn't weed out the small fish. I like it better than a shakyhead because you have more weight to allow you to feel the bottom.
  • fsumichaelfsumichael Posts: 79 Deckhand
    magnum trick worms are the best bass bait ive ever used, why would you even have listened to the person who told you to do that. weightless or texas

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file