I found the reds

I've been on vacation this week. My camping trip at little talbot last weekend got rained out so no beach fishing. I made it out Tuesday to fish the rocks at vilano. We didn't catch much but we saw some tarpon airing it out against the rocks but we couldn't get em to eat. I took my daughter fishing Thursday to west chicopit. Its hard to find the fish with a 6 yr old in the boat. We saw a big school of dolphin with some babies jumping out of the water. My daughter loved that and we watched em for about an hour before we got pushed off the water by a storm.

Today me and a couple buddies launched at sisters creek and went down to the dames point to try to get on some bull reds. I'm pretty new to fishing the deeper water in the river so we were just kindof feeling it out. We only managed a couple of yellow mouth trout....

facebook_-1801036191jpg.jpg

At slack low tide we headed back to the sisters creek area to try to find em back on the creeks. We found a school of red reds feeding on a flat as the water was comming up. While we were catching those my buddy was soaking a piece of cut mullet on the other side of the creek when his reel starts screaming. After a nice fight he lands this 30 incher.....

2012-08-12124838.jpg

That storm moves in but there wasn't any lightning so we fished through it and it paid off with this 27 incher...

facebook_-2077551885jpg.jpg

After that we were on to them and I hooked this 26 incher....

2012-08-12132753.jpg

We still had one guy that hadn't caught a big red but the next storm was a lightning storm so we had to split while they were still biting. We brought home these guys plus a couple of trout....

facebook_-1801036191-2jpg.jpg

The trout hit the grease as soon as I got home....

2012-08-12190837.jpg

I have to go back to work tomorrow so I'm glad we finally got into em. Fitting end to a nice, lazy staycation.
-Jon

Replies

• jacqueojacqueo Posts: 1,270 Officer
    Nice report. We were out there today too - browns creek area and under the dames point bridge and didn't catch anything worth keeping - a few ladyfish and an undersized flounder. Glad someone had some luck!
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JaxAnglerJaxAngler Posts: 463 Deckhand
    I was out there too, started around dames point then went to clapboard but didn't have any luck either... just small yellowmouth's and a few lady's

Bold City Heating and Air
    State License CAC1818833

P: (904) 379-1648 / E: Service@BoldCityAC.com / BoldCityAC.com

I think I saw you guys, we launched from sister's creek ramp around the same time and I saw you fishing in the middle of the river by dames point

State License CAC1818833

• JboatJboat Posts: 1,337 Officer
    Great fish! Thanks for the report.

Jason
  • Black PearlBlack Pearl Posts: 1,155 Officer
    Way to find them guys. Got to love when you can get on a good school like that! I cant wait to get home and get back on the water.
    "Great Daye Fishing Team"
    '14 Pathfinder 22 TRS (sold :()
    Yamaha F200
  • BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,067 Officer
    great report
  • JizzoJizzo Posts: 1,356 Officer
    JaxAngler wrote: »
    I think I saw you guys, we launched from sister's creek ramp around the same time and I saw you fishing in the middle of the river by dames point
    I think I saw you leaving... you were in the Century boat right? We were the three fat guys in the stumpknocker. :)

The day was topped off when we got back to the boat ramp, I met capt Vic and got to chat with him for a few. He is the president of our chapter of the RFA and I podcast his radio show every week. Nice guy and he has a lot of local fishing knowledge.

Speaking of which... I'm still not real good at the deep water river fishing. I'm a bait fisherman mostly. This summer I picked up a couple of heavier (30#) setups to catch some bigger fish. I watched Steves video about how to tie the rigs that he fishes with out at the jetties. I tried that and also a fishfinder rig with a 3oz egg sinker. I dropped half a crab, cut mullet and shrimp down but we didn't get alot of bites. Should I be dropping down in the channel or near the bridge pilings. Is slack or near slack tide better because of the heavy current. Any of you guys has have any tips to shorten the learning curve? My PB red is 33" and I hope to increase that in the next few months. :cool:
    -Jon
    Jizzo wrote: »
    I think I saw you leaving... you were in the Century boat right? We were the three fat guys in the stumpknocker. :)

The day was topped off when we got back to the boat ramp, I met capt Vic and got to chat with him for a few. He is the president of our chapter of the RFA and I podcast his radio show every week. Nice guy and he has a lot of local fishing knowledge.

Speaking of which... I'm still not real good at the deep water river fishing. I'm a bait fisherman mostly. This summer I picked up a couple of heavier (30#) setups to catch some bigger fish. I watched Steves video about how to tie the rigs that he fishes with out at the jetties. I tried that and also a fishfinder rig with a 3oz egg sinker. I dropped half a crab, cut mullet and shrimp down but we didn't get alot of bites. Should I be dropping down in the channel or near the bridge pilings. Is slack or near slack tide better because of the heavy current. Any of you guys has have any tips to shorten the learning curve? My PB red is 33" and I hope to increase that in the next few months. :cool:

No, I was in the Key West boat to your left side when you were fishing right in the middle of the river by dames point.... we didn't fish far from each other for about an hour. I think that was your first stop. Then you guys moved to where we were.

We didn't stay there for much longer, we ended up going back to clapbaord and then whiteshell but no luck at all....

State License CAC1818833

Yeah, we kinda followed you guys up near the bridge. We tried to hit the mouth of mill cove but got nothing. I don't know much about fishing that area yet so I just watch what other people do. :) I'm gonna find me some good spots around there eventually.
    -Jon
    Yeah, we kinda followed you guys up near the bridge. We tried to hit the mouth of mill cove but got nothing. I don't know much about fishing that area yet so I just watch what other people do. :) I'm gonna find me some good spots around there eventually.

lol that's funny, we do the same thing.... but never consider the fact that the people you're following might not know what they're doing either

State License CAC1818833

• saltygator11saltygator11 Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Great report and some good eatin.
  • stjohnsrunnerstjohnsrunner Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Try anchoring around the north piling of the Dames Point for bulls. Their there it is just a matter of getting them to eat. Also, if you haven't already, try the little jetties near the mouth of trout river. Lots of bulls there.
  • DevilDog91DevilDog91 Posts: 94 Deckhand
    good day on the water and an awesome dinner! cant beat that!
    Great report and some good eatin.
    Thanks! Last night I grilled my redfish. Redfish isn't my favorite fish but if you cut out the bloodline, toss on some oldbay and grill it, thats some good food. :) Its pretty healthy too.
    Try anchoring around the north piling of the Dames Point for bulls. Their there it is just a matter of getting them to eat. Also, if you haven't already, try the little jetties near the mouth of trout river. Lots of bulls there.
    I fish out of a 14' stumpknocker. Last Sunday I had 3 200lb+ guys in it. We were fishing the south pilings (near JaxAngler) and I wanted to drop near the north pilings. We motored over there and the current was ripping. I didn't think it was very safe in my boat so we split. I think I'm gonna try around the slack tide next time or maybe with just one fat guy in the boat. What kind of weight does it take to hold bottom in that current? 4-6 oz? I was fishing with 3oz on the south side out of the current and it was holding fine.
    DevilDog91 wrote: »
    good day on the water and an awesome dinner! cant beat that!
    Gotta love Jax!
    -Jon
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,376 Captain
    Those hush puppies are makin me hungry. I'm so ready for a fish fry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file