Morning of Reds and a MONSTER Trout

Hit the lagoon early this morning, only to find tails all over the place. Water was very low, still dirty, and tons of grass. Fish were doing a very good job at sneaking through the grass this morning but we still managed a handful. Late morning we saw a nice size tail pop up, poled towards it and my buddy makes a perfect cast and gets nailed. A couple seconds into the fight we realize it's not a red but a monster gator trout. Caught, weighed, quick photo shoot, and a healthy release. 8.5 lbs on the boga. Enjoy...

DSC01756.jpg

DSC01760.jpg

DSC01761.jpg

DSC01758.jpg

DSC01731-1.jpg

DSC01754.jpg

DSC01733.jpg

DSC01737.jpg
Fishing to me is not just about the catch, it's about the lifestyle as a whole...

Replies

• FloridaAnglerFloridaAngler Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    WOW! Thats a monster, nice pics too
  • inshore77inshore77 Posts: 54 Deckhand
    WOW! Nice report. That is a beautiful Trout...
  • fi$hheadfi$hhead Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Awesome trout!
  • jumboshrimpjumboshrimp Posts: 820 Officer
    wow, nice fish and a killer trout!
  • River555River555 Posts: 361 Officer
    Great trout and very nice pics!! Thanks for sharing them w/ us
  • hellsbayredhawkhellsbayredhawk Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    What a beauty! The large gator trout seem to be tailing all over and mixed in with the reds. My buddy put his son on a 33" tailing gator a few weeks ago and last weekend we caught a 25" gator tailing as well. I know this isnt unusual but it seems like this happening more often the past couple months. Would you agree?
  • shallowminded22shallowminded22 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    What a beauty! The large gator trout seem to be tailing all over and mixed in with the reds. My buddy put his son on a 33" tailing gator a few weeks ago and last weekend we caught a 25" gator tailing as well. I know this isnt unusual but it seems like this happening more often the past couple months. Would you agree?

My buddy who caught the trout today caught another one about the same size just a month ago... He got that one on a pot hole though. This was the first time I've seen a trout tail the way this one was. All the fish today were caught on a weighted hook with an exude jerk bait by the way...
    Fishing to me is not just about the catch, it's about the lifestyle as a whole...
  • Panfishangler1Panfishangler1 Posts: 883 Officer
    Finally, A postive report with Amazing photos from the Lagoon!
    Panfishanglersigdownsized.gif
  • NCFishmanNCFishman Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Amazing trout fish of a life time!
  • WhitnerWhitner Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Now that's a true gator there!!!! Nice work. And to catch him skinny with his tail out of the water!!!! Nothing better!!!!
  • Cobia150Cobia150 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    NICE!
  • BMargioBMargio Posts: 96 Deckhand
    Nice trout. tearing it up in the hells bay!
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,700 Captain
    Mind me asking what Lagoon? Mosquito? Thanks
  • QualityTimeQualityTime Posts: 180 Officer
    Nice trout! It has a hell of a head and some teeth on it too!
    2010 Key West 211cc
    175hp Evinrude Etec
    :Rockon
  • skeeterlagoonskeeterlagoon Posts: 65 Deckhand
    How long is the trout?
  • reellyfunreellyfun Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Great trout! Very nice picts too.
    tunaman wrote: »
    Mind me asking what Lagoon? Mosquito? Thanks

Yes sir, Mosquito lagoon, north side
    How long is the trout?

Never measured it but it was easily over 30, id say 33-34
  • slapshotslapshot Posts: 172 Officer
    Wow, that is a NICE trout!! We were fishing ML 2 weeks ago on vacation, right in the middle of that horrible algae bloom or whatever messed the water up so bad. Needless to say, the fishing sucked. We managed a few 18" trout, but that was it.
  • reddaddy5reddaddy5 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    slapshot wrote: »
    Wow, that is a NICE trout!! We were fishing ML 2 weeks ago on vacation, right in the middle of that horrible algae bloom or whatever messed the water up so bad. Needless to say, the fishing sucked. We managed a few 18" trout, but that was it.

awesome pig
  • Capt.LinesidahCapt.Linesidah Posts: 36 Deckhand
    epic trout
    Thank you to everyone for the kind comments. Look out for more reports in the near future. I've been up at FSU for the past 4 years and hung out an extra year for fun, so I'm just now back in central Florida and finally having the opportunities to be back on the Lagoon as much as possible. Photography is something my buddy and I both are very much into and these days to us that's our main goal, getting that perfect picture, which in turn ends up prolonging the memory for a lifetime. We've been on tons of fish even with this dirty water so get out there and go catch some for yourself! Tight lines.
  • DirtyRedDirtyRed Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    really nice trout and great pics too!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,211 AG
    Whitner wrote: »
    Now that's a true gator there!!!!

Yep...THAT...is a true gator trout.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,894 Admiral
    Ok I will bite since JR did not. Great trout, a stud for sure but gripping and hanging a trout of that sized probably killed it.
    Great catch and good luck in the future but we would have know it was a big tout w/o the weight.
    Go Gators
    DuPont wrote: »
    Ok I will bite since JR did not. Great trout, a stud for sure but gripping and hanging a trout of that sized probably killed it.
    Great catch and good luck in the future but we would have know it was a big tout w/o the weight.
    Go Gators

I'm one of the most laid back people you'll ever meet, so I absolutely mean this in the most care free way and not starting any trouble. Just would like to put my opinion in.

You say we "probably" killed it because we weighed it. If that's the case then there's "probably" alot of dead fish out there due to thousands of anglers weighing large fish. Let's be honest, who is weighing a 2 pound trout? Nobody. There are thousands of anglers who handle fish improperly but I would not consider myself to be one of them. In all honesty, plenty of fish are killed each day and nobody makes a fuss about it. They're primarily killed on purpose for meat reasons, but nobody ever says anything about it, since everyone loves fresh fish to eat. Am I wrong on that? All 4 reds we caught today were slot and perfect to throw in the cooler but we didn't think twice about doing so. I'm all about conservation and fully support every aspect of it. At the same time, I also know how much more awful treatment occurs on a daily basis than what occurred here, and really don't feel like we were in the wrong for just weighing a fish. The fish was weighed for the most minimal amount of time which is why we claimed it "about" 8.5 pounds, since we didn't let it hang for more than a second. The trout was revived perfectly and swam away with more than enough power.

As far as I know, and I've been on the forum for a good 5 years (just recently made a new name on here), but this forum is intended for FISHING REPORTS. Reports that are meant to help other anglers have a chance to get out on the water and obtain the same goal we all go for: TO HAVE FUN. I've seen in other threads where guys say the forums have gone down hill since they can't make a post without somebody coming along and bashing them for handling a fish wrong or something of the like. Many people who responded to this post were very thankful for a nice optimistic report with great pictures. I'm really not sure what more anybody could ask for on here. Having a negative comment that essentially ruins a great thread really makes the original poster, me in this case, not have much desire to post again. Once upon a time somebody once said, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all"...

Just my two cents, and I sincerely promise you I am not trying to start any issues. I'm always more than happy to discuss something and obviously everything has 2 sides to it. Therefore, I look forward to getting a response from you. Life is about learning something new everyday, and if today I learn something I didn't already know, then it will in fact be a great day. Either way, I apologize for the fish handling techniques and will be more careful in the future when it is necessary.

Above all else,
    GO SEMINOLES
  • skeeterlagoonskeeterlagoon Posts: 65 Deckhand
    DuPont wrote: »
    Go Gators

OP just killed this comment!
    OP just killed this comment!
    lol. I should have left it at nice trout.
    Fish that size are not caught by your everyday yahoo. All i was saying is when you catch a hero like that hanging it from it's jaw may not be the best idea. I will leave it at that.
    I am guilty as well; if you look back at my old posts I have posted a pic hanging a stud from grips and would still be doing to this day without the advice of someone much smarter than me,
  • phantom1phantom1 Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Nice trout and pics are very nice..thanks for sharing!! I have been lucky enough to catch a few tailing trout in the ML and NIRL area.. but not that big!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file