Snook you want to HOOK!! 12 Landed with pictures

Yesterday I was at work when by the hand of God Almighty, my power went out! Awesome for me cause I work on a computer. So I decided to make a mini fishing trip with a couple of buddies. Stopped at Lehrs to pick up a couple reels I had getting serviced and bought a New St.Croix fly reel. We headed out the river around 1:30. Chased big threadies for a while out by picnic island and caught about a hundred hand size threads. (perfect snook bait) Then went drifting around the back side of sanibel and shell creek and a few other places. We have been seeing snook lately in groupes, I wouldnt call them schools cause its just about 3-5 in a group. We were fishing structure (downed trees, and Mangroves, sand/grass lines) and have been seeing them big Ol'Submarines running the shoreline.
It took a while for the bite to turn on, they seem to be favoring the incoming tide/bottom tide cause we didnt get as much as a bite on the outgoing ( that could be because we were not fishing the right spots at the time, or they just were hungry at the time). When they turned on, they were hammering our baits like a hammer to a nail. These were some smart fish, they were reaching for the mangroves and we we would get them out they would run circles around the boat looking for the first thing to get snagged on. We prevailed for most of them. The first two fish were in the slot giving a great fight. The next two were altogether different. These were some very healthy females who gave us the fight of our life! But enough talk, I know what you guys are waiting for..........the PICS! Hope you enjoy as much as I did!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• SJCSJC Posts: 2,558 Officer
    Good job Didle! There wer a few bigguns in there. That real nice to see
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • DoodidleDoodidle Posts: 141 Officer
    Thank you, it was a great day for fishing. I had been missing the snook bite recently and it feels good to get back on it. I have been fishing Reds mostly and decided to go searching for some submarines yesterday instead, im glad I went with my gut on this one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Great trip man......nice snook. Hoping to get over that way in a couple weeks. Did they all come on livies or did you throw some arties too?
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 8,464 Admiral
    Nicely done, gentlemen. :)
    Got one on a greenback fly. it was awesome, I was sight fishing them with my flyrod and saw one come up and look at it turning completly sideways in the water before he grabbed it. He was 28" and fought like a beast on the flyrod. Going out saturday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SweeperSweeper Posts: 59 Deckhand
    Nice looking fish. I like that area too. You can fish the outgoing from the top down, but I find it's best the 1st hour or 2. Then the incoming is my favorite. There are some nice sharks in the area, make sure you have a fly rigged with a wire leader and have some fun.
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 407 Officer
    Nice Job , their is 12 more reason to open that season , seeing a lot of them down in Estero aswell
    JSTickum wrote: »
    Nice Job , their is 12 more reason to open that season , seeing a lot of them down in Estero aswell

agreed. One of those would be tasty on the grill if you were allowed to keep them! I dont mind throwing them back to catch them another day though. I was talking to my lil borther about it yesterday he was like "It feels good to let them go, cause I know ill catch him again next week and he'll be bigger next time!"
    Im going out again today to try and get a couple on the fly. Ill let you know if I have any luck:cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,787 Captain
    You guys got a couple real nice snook! Great work
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 407 Officer
    Doodidle wrote: »
    agreed. One of those would be tasty on the grill if you were allowed to keep them! I dont mind throwing them back to catch them another day though. I was talking to my lil borther about it yesterday he was like "It feels good to let them go, cause I know ill catch him again next week and he'll be bigger next time!"
    Im going out again today to try and get a couple on the fly. Ill let you know if I have any luck:cool:
    agreed , but Redfish is getting old :cool:
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 Officer
    Nice fish ! Did the big one you held vertical swim off ?
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
    yes, all of them swam off, one took a couple minutes before he darted off but we made sure to revive them. We werent taking any chances of them dying. they were only out of the water long enough to take the hook out and snap a photo. We were too busy catching them and were all about the quick release back into the water. That was my buddy Matt who was holding the fish vertical. I always support the belly. (Im the one in the black shirt and visor)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 238 Officer
    Great report man! Love that you hit some on the fly rod.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
  • riym84riym84 Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Awesome! It seems like those spur of the moment trips can sometimes be the best!!
  • bonitabobbonitabob Posts: 675 Officer
    Nice fish! That's a great area for snook too, there always seems to be biggies around that whole area.
  • FlyinPilchardFlyinPilchard Posts: 87 Deckhand
    Looks like a great day of fishing, I will be there in July, hope they feel like biting when im there, Is that a PBR in the background
    Looks like a great day of fishing, I will be there in July, hope they feel like biting when im there, Is that a PBR in the background

It sure is! The stuff never goes bad. We bought a bunch of four packs two weeks ago and never took them out of the cooler, we would just keep adding ice when we go out! We read out yesterday.
    We still planning to get together when your down right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AaronMurnaneAaronMurnane Posts: 161 Officer
    i went to picnic island the other day and chummed a little a didnt seem to see anything. what side and where and what time do you hit picnic island for bait?
  • natecertnatecert Posts: 199 Deckhand
    Nice! I like the fish that look like yours, sliver with the raceing stripe. The darker fish are still snook, just not as good eye candy.
    natecert wrote: »
    Nice! I like the fish that look like yours, sliver with the raceing stripe. The darker fish are still snook, just not as good eye candy.

Agreed, the lighter ones look better and I love when they have the yellow on them. The darker ones have been hanging out in the river for a while. Must have come out to get some Sun :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 252 Deckhand
    Nice fish ! Did the big one you held vertical swim off ?

surprised it took 12 posts for the anal retentive forum police to chime in ......great report, btw :thumbsup
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,321 Officer
    lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KrakenKraken Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    winderbill wrote: »
    surprised it took 12 posts for the anal retentive forum police to chime in ......great report, btw :thumbsup

Yea, I knew somebody would bring it up.
    Great fish, great pictures, congrats on a great trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file