Fly Line Color

SportsmanSportsman Posts: 59 Deckhand
I want to buy some fly line for fishing for bonefish and snook and perhaps some bass. Does the color of the fly line really matter? Will it increase or decrease the amount of fish I catch?

Replies

• DogmanDogman Posts: 450 Officer
    Typically spooky fish like carp or bones may take more notice of a bright colored line. Bass aren't so fussy. You can use a clear tip line like airflo ridge clear tip if you like. As long as you don't cast your line over them though it shouldn't make a ton of difference.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,202 Captain
    Sportsman wrote: »
    I want to buy some fly line for fishing for bonefish and snook and perhaps some bass. Does the color of the fly line really matter? Will it increase or decrease the amount of fish I catch?

I've been using nothing but clear lines since January, and I've seen nothing to suggest that they offer any kind of an advantage/disadvantage over other lines. Your approach, and your presentation are more important, but if a clear line gives you confidence, than I say go for it.
  • SportsmanSportsman Posts: 59 Deckhand
    Thanks! :D
  • MistermtdMistermtd Steinhatchee Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    I think you could tie a fly directly to a fly line and a bass will hit it. That idea is just so absurd, I'm gonna go try it with an old line.
  • DogmanDogman Posts: 450 Officer
    Mistermtd wrote: »
    I think you could tie a fly directly to a fly line and a bass will hit it. That idea is just so absurd, I'm gonna go try it with an old line.

Hahaha that's awesome let us know how you do.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers

Sir,

First off I think it depends on the fish your trying to catch, I know a little bit about tarpon, and if you cast a very bright colored or at times even a mild colored line near them they will explode, Before Clear tip lines were popular I used to make my own clear tipped lines and had great success, with that experience I would say yes it matters, diffidently, but I couldn't venture to say to what percentage. Somebody else just posted they just started using cleat tip lines and couldn't see the difference, well I sure did. Once we was posted up and I was using an Orvis clear tip line with the a very mild yellow running line (wonder line) as the strings of Tarpon came near us and I started casting they continued to flare off, I switched to my SA mild blue line with a homemade clear tip, I caught Tarpon after Tarpon the rest of the day. Was it the line? My guide seemed to think they didn't like the yellow flash, but maybe couldn't see the milder light blue, who knows? But I caught a lot of fish on that line and none on the other, so yes I really think color matters, and clear is better. my 2 cents.

Carl Blackledge
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,282 Captain
    The only problem I have with clear lines, is that they do not stay clear very long. All mine (SA Mastery) have started to turn darker after one year, and one line, although it is on a reel, I don't think I have ever used!

I have clear (old tarpon taper) lines in storage, from 20 years ago. They are all a dark amber color. If that color ever becomes popular, I'm good to go!

Carl, I'm sure you remember "back in the day," when the only line to use was the non-glare gray line that SA made. I'm thinking your light blue approximates that shade and the fish do not see it against the sky. (Light blue was not available, back in the 70's, at least in the larger lines)

I am about to buy about 4 lines and because of the discoloring problem with clear lines (to go along with their priciness) I'm thinking of regressing back to that grey line where possible. I still have one (8 wt) from the mid-80's that has caught 24 permit, many bonefish and a few baby tarpon.....and it still looks/feels like new.
    .......Rick
  • fltsfshrfltsfshr Posts: 292 Officer
    I like sky blue. Nice color. I think it hides well. I've never used clear.

Italian name for sky blue is Celeste Phoebe. I want a Lamborghini Gallardo in that color. :)

fltsfshr
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    The only problem I have with clear lines, is that they do not stay clear very long.

Most are actually opaque out of the box, clear would be a stretch for most of the lines being marketed today as clear. I've been happy with the cortland PE liquid (NOT THE CRYSTAL). I use it mostly for bass, and backcountry snook and tarpon and it's as clear today as it was when I got it. My ridge tropical clear looks white in the water, and I've used it considerably less than the cortland.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Most are actually opaque out of the box, clear would be a stretch for most of the lines being marketed today as clear. I've been happy with the cortland PE liquid (NOT THE CRYSTAL). I use it mostly for bass, and backcountry snook and tarpon and it's as clear today as it was when I got it. My ridge tropical clear looks white in the water, and I've used it considerably less than the cortland.

Old dirty guy,

The old Monic clear floating lines were pretty much clear, I used to cut 10 feet off the tips, then take that tip and attach it to the end of my light blue SA tarpon line, that was a killer line. The bad side was the taper on the Monic lines was awful. Now today I make the same lines and I use the Cortland (liquid) for the clear tip end, and yes Its not totally clear like the old Monic was.

I also took a few Cortland (liquid) full floating clear lines, I whacked the clear floating tip off 10 feet from the end, I then replaced it with 10 feet of clear intermediate. I ended up with a totally clear line and the last 10 feet sink real slow. This is a very good line for getting that 2nd-3rd and 4th shot at your fish, because the floating aspects of the rear line aids in such easy pickup, compared to a full sinking intermediate line that's constantly sinking, and also there is no color at all to scare the fish.

I won't be on here for a Month, however I hope you guys all get along while I'm in Mexico. and Old dirty guy, I think you do an OK job.

Carl Blackledge

This is a very good line for getting that 2nd-3rd and 4th shot at your fish, because the floating aspects of the rear line aids in such easy pickup, compared to a full sinking intermediate line that's constantly sinking, and also there is no color at all to scare the fish.

I won't be on here for a Month, however I hope you guys all get along while I'm in Mexico. and Old dirty guy, I think you do an OK job.

Carl Blackledge

I'm with you on the intermediate tip. I haven't used a full intermediate line in years, depending mostly on the teeny TS-T series, airflo tactical heads, and the SA textured clear tip for all my slow sinking stuff. I absolutely have to have a floating running line, and not just for fast pickups. And btw, I'm not really that old (definately dirty), but thanks. Have fun down south, looking forward to some reports.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,282 Captain
    I wonder if Mr. Carl learned his splicing technique from the late Frank Bertania. (Frank was from Santa Rosa) I remember when he perfected the technique (c. 1980) to his satisfaction and it was truly a work of art....perfectly seamless, except that all we had to cover the splice was Pliobond in those days, so there was this brown color over the splice. Today, with the Loon and other products...well, I bet the line mfgrs. wish they could duplicate Frank's success.
    .......Rick
  • clampmanclampman Posts: 130 Officer
    Interesting thread.

I bought the Cortland liquid floating for tarpon recently for a yankee friend to try, figuring he wouldn't be comfortable with a real long leader. But after watching him grinding my old line into the deck with his shoes, I decided not to spool the new line. Couldn't get him to fish barefooted.

Although I really don't think it will make a whole lot of difference, I figured I'd give it a try since it does shoot well anyhow. I'd think, if it doesn't flash too bad in the sun, it could we well worth it for bones. But I haven't even fished for them since the freeze.

PS: Dirty, what causes some posts to be in such skinny columns?

Cheers,
    Jim
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    I wonder if Mr. Carl learned his splicing technique from the late Frank Bertania. (Frank was from Santa Rosa) I remember when he perfected the technique (c. 1980) to his satisfaction and it was truly a work of art....perfectly seamless, except that all we had to cover the splice was Pliobond in those days, so there was this brown color over the splice. Today, with the Loon and other products...well, I bet the line mfgrs. wish they could duplicate Frank's success.

Rat,

I knew and loved old Frank. Frank was my first ever Tarpon guide in Florida, Frank was my neighbor for 30 years. However I never learned the splicing technique from him and actually never seen any splicing he did. Frank and I both met just about the time that Orvis came out with that clear tip pale yellow Wonder line and Frank was in love with that line. I learned almost everything I know about splicing from the late Bill Nash.

Maybe when I return from Mexico I can post some pictures of the splice, it's actually quite simple and very effective, I just don't understand why the fly companies haven't picked up on it?

Carl Blackledge

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file