Reel Line Capacity...

haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,332 Captain
Was looking at different reels, etc and came across the Shimano specs. Is it a mis print that they have their reels with less capacity when using braided line? I always thought reels held more braid than mono...

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/Sustain_FE.html

Replies

• MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    They do, but take note that the braid test they use is higher than the mono.
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    i thought 10lb braid was the size of 1lb mono
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,095 Admiral
    Daiwas are more braid friendly.
  • MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    monoxide wrote: »
    i thought 10lb braid was the size of 1lb mono
    No, some braid manufacturers say its the diameter of 2 lb but to me its more like 4. Mono casts better as well which is a misconception with people using braid.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,364 Admiral
    this is a question that comes up a lot on just about ever fishing forum..the braid specs are rubbish, the mono capacities closer to reality..so if your reel holds 140 yards of #10 mono you know in your head that it will hold a butt load of #10 braid.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Bringing this back for a different type question, along the same lines. If the maximum line a reel is rated for is 6# , is it safe to put 12# braid on it?
    for small reels I would use the lightest braid you feel comfortable using..personally I won't go lower than #6 braid, no more than #15 for typical inshore fishing around the bay.
    I know for baitcasters most guys use a minimum if #20 so the line does not dig into the spool.
    my reel only gives specs for up to 12lb mono but it has 24lbs of drag so i cant really spool 10lb braid on it and fish it to its potential.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,332 Captain
    monoxide wrote: »
    my reel only gives specs for up to 12lb mono but it has 24lbs of drag so i cant really spool 10lb braid on it and fish it to its potential.

Would you put 15-20# braid on it then? Your point is basically where I was coming from as far as reels only giving specs for mono
    a inshore rod will never stand up to 24lbs of drag.
    i have had a few rods that were inshore rods stand up to 24lbs of drag
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
    you can pick up a #25 weight off the ground with your inshore rod on a regular basis ?
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    Mono casts better as well which is a misconception with people using braid.

That's going to depend on the guide train being used. As a rod builder, I can use smaller/lighter reduction guides and get better casting distance. Mono requires bigger guides for the first 2-3 based solely on it's memory and it's tendency to come off the reel in bigger coils.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file